      From: azaleas@yahoogroups.com [mailto:azaleas@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Mike Creel
      Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 9:35 AM
      To: ASA Azaleaphiles
      Cc: Ewin Jenkins
      Subject: [AZ] Coleman's May Pink and other S.D. Coleman native azalea varieties

      Has anyone compiled a list of distinctive and/or named
      native azalea varieties that were distributed by the
      late S.D. Coleman of Fort Gaines, Georgia, near the
      Alabama border?  I grow Coleman's Early Yellow,
      Coleman's Sunshine (aka Rushins Yellow)

      This past Saturday (April 29) took photos of two tall
      old plants at Georgia Botanical Garden labelled
      Coleman's MayPink (R. arborescens) in mid-bloom.  Two
      photos of Coleman's MayPink are attached.  I could see
      NO sign of arborescens lineage in the two plants.  I
      would like to hear from anyone who grows Coleman's May
      Pink or other Coleman varieties.

      If anyone has any old Coleman correspondence or plant
      lists, I would be interested in that two. I have a
      Coleman letter and list somewhere in the stuff I moved
      from my office after recent retirement, just have to
      find it.  As I understand it, the old Coleman "Azaela
      Trail" of plants he propagated from still exists,
      though overgrown.

      Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      Nature is my Greenhouse
      Join the Azalea Society of America