19892Re: [AZ] 2002Convention- azalea variety at Red Barn Nursery

    Aug 13, 2014
      Tad, thank you for responding about this mystery azalea.

      This white-red-pink-yellow azalea is one of the strangest colors I have ever seen to be found in a population of flammeum.  It is beyond tricolor.  I have visited a goodly number of wild populations of flammeums in several South Carolina counties, and never seen one like this.  Once however I grew out a seedling from Woodlanders nursery of flammeum from seeds from a steep bluff filled with flammeum on the North Edisto River in Aiken County.  That seedling proved to be a white tricolor with pink/red and yellow that I named for my Daughter Sarah.  I gave several plants of it away, to friends whose names are lost in time, but I lost my original plant in a drought.  I will post a 2000 photo of my lost white flammeum for comparison.

      From: "Tadeusz Dauksza iltkyao@... [azaleas]" <azaleas@yahoogroups.com>
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:01 AM
      Subject: Re: [AZ] 2002Convention- azalea variety at Red Barn Nursery

      Mike-

      I  and many others attended the 2002 Atlanta (ARS-ASA) joint convention,  it was my first convention, what a show, gracious and warm southern hospitality for us who arrived from the North , numerous gardens were at their peak flowering--  it was led by Earl Sommerville, I still have plants from that convention,, like Earl's R.austrinum's , and others. The picture that you attached is of R. flammeum which was in Earl's garden , he stated that it was a natural hybrid that he found while plant hunting.   Before Earl started registering some of his beautiful hybrids or natural find's I recollect that he had "names" like  " next to 86" an austrinum . Chattanooga was the next convention  in 2003 ( led by Joe Schild)  and another wonderful experience and many more plants  including woodland wildflowers which were purchased unexpectedly from Joe Schild's garden .

      hope this helps, I am sure that Earl will try to add more if he sees this thread.

      Tadeusz- LM ASA

      On Monday, August 11, 2014 11:30 AM, "Mike Creel mikeacreel@... [azaleas]" <azaleas@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Mike Creel included below]
      Does anyone, Earl Sommerville in particular, know the provenance or parentage of this azalea variety, named 2002 Convention that is on sale at Red Barn Nursery?  It looks like an eastmanii to me.