19597Re: [AZ] [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC] Is it evergreen? [2 Attachments]

    Apr 6 6:30 PM
      Hi Tony,

      1.  Clearly the image is of an evergreen azalea.
      2.  If they never receive sunlight, that is not a good situation.  The more exposure (sunlight) --- the more flowers and the better the foliage.
      3.  Generally, the foliage is not as full as English boxwood, although some are more full than others.  Note also that this has been a particularly bad Winter for azaleas.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      On 4/6/2014 7:41 PM, Tony Pham wrote:

      Hello,

      We just bought a house in Boothwyn, PA 19061 near DE border and the
      house has two azalea bushes.

      They are at the north side of the house and in a corner, so they never
      receive sunlight. They have clusters of about 5-7 leaves at the tip
      but nothing below that all winter. I want to propagate them to plant
      as hedges to create formal garden. I want the hedge to be as thick as
      possible all winter. I never see an evergreen azalea, but the foliage
      of these bush looks thin.

      So, the questions are:
      1. Are these bushes evergreen azalea or they are deciduous azelea
      that retain some leaves thanks to the warmth from the house?
      2. The foliage is so thin on these azalea because it never receive
      sunlight? If I plant it in a full sun spot, will the foliage be
      thicker?
      2. Is evergreen azalea thick like English boxwood in the winter?

      Attached are a picture of the azalea taken at the same time with the
      Japanese maple tree to show when the Japanese maple lost all its
      leaves in the winter, the azalea still have some thin foliage.

      Thank you for your help!

      Tony Pham

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic