19593[this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC] Is it evergreen?

  • Tony Pham
    Apr 6, 2014

    We just bought a house in Boothwyn, PA 19061 near DE border and the
    house has two azalea bushes.

    They are at the north side of the house and in a corner, so they never
    receive sunlight. They have clusters of about 5-7 leaves at the tip
    but nothing below that all winter. I want to propagate them to plant
    as hedges to create formal garden. I want the hedge to be as thick as
    possible all winter. I never see an evergreen azalea, but the foliage
    of these bush looks thin.

    So, the questions are:
    1. Are these bushes evergreen azalea or they are deciduous azelea
    that retain some leaves thanks to the warmth from the house?
    2. The foliage is so thin on these azalea because it never receive
    sunlight? If I plant it in a full sun spot, will the foliage be
    2. Is evergreen azalea thick like English boxwood in the winter?

    Attached are a picture of the azalea taken at the same time with the
    Japanese maple tree to show when the Japanese maple lost all its
    leaves in the winter, the azalea still have some thin foliage.

    Thank you for your help!

    Tony Pham
  • Show all 5 messages in this topic