19577Re: [AZ] Re: ‘Nanobionics’ aims to give p lants super p owers

    Apr 1, 2014
      To me it seems that too many genera have been artificially placed inside the genus Rhododendron, which is the reason that so many species are incompatible.  There are already good, strong yellow genes available within the Vireya group and the deciduous group, in particular austrinum, flammeum and flammeum.  Why can't yellow genes from these two Rhododendron groups be incorporated within evergreen azaleas and rhodendrons?  As you know I have been trying to get an evergreen yellow to manifest by crossing yellow deciduous with white evergreen azaleas.

      From: "prometheus4096@..." <prometheus4096@...>
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 4:10 PM
      Subject: [AZ] Re: ‘Nanobionics’ aims to give plants super p owers

      Mike,

      It is already possible to just create those yellow evergreens you want. The problem is that there are no genes for the yellow pigments, no genes that code for the correct carotinoid.

      The gene can be added through basic genetic engineering techniques. It is not cheap but certainly not expensive and less high tech then you might suspect.

      Of course, many other traits could also be improved on through GM where no progress was made through plant breeding.

      At the moment, I don't think any species in the rhododendron genus has it's genome mapped.

      Mark

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic