19302Re: cutting back large azaleas

  • barbazalea
    Nov 12, 2013
      Cutting back azaleas in March was the optimal time for old azalea rejuvenation. They were 15 feet tall, leggy and not pushing enough growth with the pruning of deadwood we were doing -and that was alot. (That's the kaempferi in them).

      In no way did ALL BRANCHES of any single plant get cut back; many small branches, some 5 feet long, were left to bloom as normal. March thinning in this way provides a nice LONG season for regrowth - they start growing foliage as soon as the spring temps get warm.

      They flush growth again after they bloom. The 2nd flush will not amount to nearly as much. If you are serious about rejuvenation of azaleas, March is the best time. Remember, only 1/3 or LESS is removed; plenty of branches remain to bloom that spring and regrowth is increased. The new growth will go on to form buds and bloom the following year.

      After bloom, more can be done, but never amounts to nearly as much regrowth by end of summer. We all know that buds will form on new growth that forms if pruning (or shearing) is done immediately after bloom.

      When thinning such as was done to the 70 year old azaleas, the leggy branches that remain should remain an entire year - then they too can be cut back-after bloom. They do not require the rejuvenative cut that is done in March as they are young, juvenile branches that were left behind the previous year.

      That is all I'm going to say about this. -Barbara

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, George Klump <mixturev@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Chris,
      >
      > Azaleas can be pruned almost anytime. However, the caveat here is that
      > pruning them whenever one gets the urge may destroy the flower
      > production for the following season. So it is usually best to wait until
      > _after_ the plants have bloomed at their natural time of blooming. If
      > the azalea is a late bloomer, say, in May or even June, prune it after
      > that time. It will put out new growth for the next year and it is this
      > new growth which will contain the flowers.
      >
      > As for doing it right now, I probably would not, even if you were living
      > in an area where there were normally no hard freezes during the winter.
      > If you do, the chances are that you will not get any flowers in the
      > spring of 2014 and you won't like that.
      >
      > George E. Klump
      > Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA
      >

      > On 11/10/2013 6:08 AM, chris murphree wrote:
      > >
      > > ForwardedMessage.eml
      > >
      > > Subject:
      > > [AZ] cutting back large azaleas
      > > From:
      > > "chris murphree" <cmurphree1@...>
      > > Date:
      > > 11/10/2013 5:30 AM
      > >
      > > To:
      > > <azaleas@yahoogroups.com>
      > >

      > > this is from Ask Us page, please send cc.
      > > I have some very large azaleas that are 15 years old that I want to
      > > cut back,although you recomend doing it in early spring can I do it
      > > now without any/much
      > > damage to the plants?
      > > Thanks for the reply
      > > __._,_.__