19301Re: [AZ] cutting back large azaleas

  • George Klump
    Nov 11, 2013

      Hello, Chris,

      Azaleas can be pruned almost anytime.  However, the caveat here is that pruning them whenever one gets the urge may destroy the flower production for the following season.  So it is usually best to wait until after the plants have bloomed at their natural time of blooming.  If the azalea is a late bloomer, say, in May or even June, prune it after that time.  It will put out new growth for the next year and it is this new growth which will contain the flowers.

      As for doing it right now, I probably would not, even if you were living in an area where there were normally no hard freezes during the winter.  If you do, the chances are that you will not get any flowers in the spring of 2014 and you won't like that.

      George E. Klump
      Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

      On 11/10/2013 6:08 AM, chris murphree wrote:

      [AZ] cutting back large azaleas
      "chris murphree" <cmurphree1@...>
      11/10/2013 5:30 AM

      this is from Ask Us page, please send cc.
      I have some very large azaleas that are 15 years old that I want to cut back,although you recomend doing it in early spring can I do it now without any/much
      damage to the plants?
      Thanks for the reply

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic