19300Re: [AZ] cutting back large azaleas

    Nov 10, 2013
      Hi Chris,

      I recommend that you wait until next spring after your azaleas bloom.  It won't harm (damage) the plants if you cut them back now.  However,  the buds for next year's flowers are present now.  If you trim now, you are removing next year's flowers.  If you trim in the early spring (before they bloom), again you would be cutting away the flowers for 2014.

      William C. Miller III
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com

      chris murphree wrote:

      this is from Ask Us page, please send cc.
      I have some very large azaleas that are 15 years old that I want to cut back,although you recomend doing it in early spring can I do it now without any/much
      damage to the plants?

      Thanks for the reply

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic