19298Re: [AZ] azalea lost half its leaves

    Nov 9, 2013
      There is a Glenn Dale azalea named 'Remembrance'. you can see a picture of it at
      http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/image/36787152

      If your flowers looked like that, it is probably cold-hardy to about 0 or -5 degrees. If your weather doesn't get much colder than that you might be better off planting it outside. It is fairly difficult to keep an azalea indoors, usually from too much or too little water. You can see some directions for growing azaleas indoors at
      http://www.azaleas.org/faq.html#flo

      It could be that the leaves it is losing are normal, as long as it is keeping some leaves at the ends of the branches. That's because so-called evergreen azaleas really grow two sets of leaves, and what might be falling off are their spring leaves. You can scratch a stem with your thumbnail or a knife to see it is green (= alive) or brown (=dead) under the bark.

      Good luck with your plant.

      Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

      On Nov 6, 2013, at 5:31 PM, Heather Franks <heather.franks9@...> wrote:

      > this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC
      >
      > I received a potted azalea from 1-800-flowers when my daughter passed away/ I was hoping it was going to be a flower I could keep in the house and care for a long time. It's called "remembrance."
      >
      > I live in Ohio. I keep it in the house by a window so it gets sunlight. It currently has no buds and it has lost half its leaves. They turned brown and fell off over a few days. I'm wondering if this is normal and if they will ever come back.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Heather

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic