19296Re: [AZ] RE: Question

  • David Banks
    Nov 6, 2013
      Personal experience many years ago: our church at the time had a large patch of totally overgrown azaleas, hanging over the driveway and full of dead material. My wife and I cut them by about 2/3 and got rid of the dead stuff. We were almost ejected from the grounds committee for "killing the beautiful azaleas"--until the next Spring. Lovely bloom, leaves, growth!

      Dave
      On Nov 6, 2013, at 9:33 PM, Jim Patsy wrote:

      As a home owner,I agree with John and I gave up on the 1/3 business years ago.
      Why have an ugly plant for 3+ years?
      Jim

      Sent from my iPad
      From Singapore

      On Nov 7, 2013, at 10:21 AM, John Migas <azaleajohn@...> wrote:

      Hello to all,

      To start out, pruning depends on who's doing it.

      As for the nursery grower, pruning well before the bloom is a good thing, being that the nursery grower isn't looking to sell that plant in the spring. I prune plants way before the season starts, allowing all the energy for new growth, and I don't plan on selling the plant that season. I may even prune it a second time usually around early, early summer.

      As for the homeowner/gardener, pruning should be done after the
      plant blooms, unless blooms are not an issue. As for having overgrown plants, by hacking them down to the ground, doesn't matter about 1/3 or 2/3 of it, this sever pruning will most likely have a very poor pruduction of bud set the first year, but the second year should be awesome.

      I've witnessed a field of 40 year old mature azaleas mowed to the ground by a brush-hog recover in 2 years and one would never know it. I've also witnessed 50 year old rhodies busted to the ground by tree/storm damage and the plants look better than ever.

      Here in Michigan, we get snow damage every year and the plants
      survive. We also get natural pruning to the ground by the deer, and the plants thrive afterward. Mother nature does best for the plants, and one doesn't ask her to do it. It brings out the beast and then it heals.

      In closing, don't be afraid to prune, but be patient..........
      John Migas(Michigan)