      From: azaleas@yahoogroups.com [mailto:azaleas@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rhodyman@...
      Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:43 PM
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [AZ] RE: Question

       The normal response is to wait until after they bloom, but that is selfish and not what is best for the plant.  The best time to prune rhododendrons and azaleas is in March since this gives 2 extra months for regrowth. Pruning after mid-June can remove some of the next year's flower buds and results in poor regrowth. If one is cutting back an overgrown plant and doesn't want to loose all of the flowers, then leave some of the buds when pruning, and prune those branches back the following March.

      Recently the National Arboretum in Washington, DC, got money to improve its badly overgrown collection of Glenn Dale Azaleas.  They had to come up with a plan that would be best for this priceless collection.  This is what they did.

      Steve Henning

      Reading, PA  USA,  Zone 6

      ---In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, <Lynda.Stockslager@...> wrote:

      this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC

      We live in Wilmington NC, and have acquired a lot of very old, large, unkept azaleas when we purchased our house.

      Instead of being pretty they have become an eyesore, and are in need of some major pruning.

      A local tree company says we should cut them back in December, however I keep reading mixed comments.

      Please advise before we make a mistake!

      Thank you,

      Lynda Stockslager

      Manager, Business Development

      Global Corporate Payments

      American Express

      Office: 910-319-7540

      Fax: 910-319-7543

      Mobile: 919-523-3981

      Email: lynda.stockslager@...

      American Express made the following annotations

      "This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."

      American Express a ajouté le commentaire suivant le
      Ce courrier et toute pièce jointe qu'il contient sont réservés au seul destinataire indiqué et peuvent renfermer des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, toute divulgation, duplication, utilisation ou distribution du courrier ou de toute pièce jointe est interdite. Si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez nous en aviser par courrier et détruire immédiatement le courrier et les pièces jointes. Merci.

    • Show all 33 messages in this topic