18752Re: Azaleas in Indiana

  • Steve Henning
    Apr 9, 2013
      Hi Duane,

      The Azalea Society of America had their 2011 meeting in southern Indiana at the Azalea Path Arboretum and Botanical Gardens.

      There are many deciduous azaleas that do well there.  These include:

      'Cannon's Double', 'Carlson's Coral Flameboyant', 'Crimson Tide', 'Gibraltar', 'Homebush', 'Mount Saint Helens', 'White Lights', R. atlanticum, R. calendulaceum, R. prunifolium, R. vaseyii, and 'White Find'

      There was an article in the American Rhododendron Society Journal  about raising evergreen azaleas in Indiana.  Here is what they recommended:

      The Evergreen Azalea Committee of the Indianapolis Chapter lists the most suitable evergreen azaleas for our region (Zone 6-B) as follows:

      Glen Dale Hybrids - 'Fashion', 'Greeting', 'Vestal', and 'Glacier'. Gable Hybrids - 'Herbert', 'Maryann', 'Mildred Mae', 'Rosebud", 'Purple Splendor', 'Rose Greeley', 'Stewartstonian', 'Boudoir', and 'Susan'.

      Pride hybrids - 'Jack Stewart', 'Marjorie', 'Nadine', 'Pale Lilac', 'Pride Red', 'Sam' 'Vicky', 'Victoria', 'Watermelon', and 'Winny'.

      Shammarello Hybrids - 'Desiree', 'Hino-Pink', 'Hino-red', 'Hino-white', 'Elsie Lee', and 'Helen Curtis'.

      Kaempferi Hybrids - 'Carmen', 'Fedora', 'John Cairns', and 'Othello'.

      Kurume Hybrids - 'Hino-crimson', 'Snow-White', 'Hinode-giri' and 'Coral Bells'.

      Steve Henning, Zone 6, Reading, PA  USA

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Duane Hinshaw <DHinshaw@...> wrote:

      > Are there Azaleas that can do well in central Indiana?  I live in Georgia and have lots of them and want to send to relatives in Indiana as a gift, but want them to survive.
      > Your suggestions are welcomed.
      > Thanks
      > Duane
      > Duane A. Hinshaw
      > Regional Vice President, SE
      > Boys & Girls Clubs of America
      > This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you may not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this e-mail. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender. Thank you.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic