  • John
    Mar 14, 2013

      This is from the ask us page, so please send me a cc

      At the Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens, they are under an EPA and Water Management District  requirement to irrigate with treated wastewater. That wastewater has way more than twice the amount of salt content as normal water. I am told that azaleas aren’t salt tolerant, and that irrigating them with this water will kill them. My question is: How can we install and enjoy azaleas under these conditions? Are there varieties of azaleas from the hundreds of different kinds, that will tolerate the higher salt content of this water, and its being sprayed on them from above?

      We have wild azaleas on the property, but they are not under the irrigation system. Our arboretum is only 4 years old. It encompasses 120 acres, and a broad spectreum of diverse environments, from desert like, to swamp, with running waters, and a large lake. The lake is so deeply set, however, that installing azaleas right around the water is not feasible.

      I would appreciate your advising me of any suggestions you might be able to make to alleviate this problem.

      Thank you very much,

      John Swanger,volunteer

    • Show all 32 messages in this topic