18684RE: [AZ] Azalea Fertilizer [3 Attachments]

  • John Corm
    Mar 13, 2013

      Wow, there is definitely some diversity of conclusions. I appreciate your advice, though. Thanks.

      From: azaleas@yahoogroups.com [mailto:azaleas@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Harold Greer
      Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:03 PM
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [AZ] Azalea Fertilizer [3 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Harold Greer included below]

      I certainly believe in using more fertilizer than many on this forum.  Though with the soil you are growing in, you may not need much fertilizer, though I disagree with the fact that azaleas don’t need a fairly high level of nutrients.  I don’t think a blanket statement should be made “that azaleas need little fertilizer”.  I am attaching some pictures I took of azaleas with and without the proper level of nutrients.  I say nutrients, not fertilizer though they are somewhat the same.

      Take a look at the pictures and tell me that proper nutrition is not important.  The labels on the pictures explain what they are showing.  Of course these pictures were taken during the growing season with a rapid acting fertilizer.

      Yes, we use a lot of ground bark and wood which requires nitrogen, but still most soils require some fertilizer.  I have never liked cottonseed meal, though it may work for some.  Dilute concentration given more often seems better than strong amounts.  You do not have to wait until after the azaleas flower to fertilize them.  For now 50 years I have fertilized azaleas before they flower.  In fact Oregon State University did an extensive study a few years ago that said the best fertilizing timing was once in the winter after the plants went dormant, one in the early spring, and once in the early summer.  Of course those of you with soil frozen in the winter have to wait until the soil thaws.   It makes no difference when the plants bloom, because some flower early and some later.  All that matters is that the nutrient level be kept at a correct point.

      Harold Greer