18360What kind of azelea and what kind of light?

  • Dawn Mergenthaler
    Oct 2, 2012
      [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      Dear Azalea Society:

      I've included some photos of two of the three azalea plants I inherited when I bought my house although I'm not sure you'll see them through Yahoo Groups. I'm in MInnesota, in Zone 4. I'm assuming they are deciduous, although I'd welcome someone confirming such.

      They're beautiful, but I noticed they were stressed this summer, partly due to the drought and heat. However, a large oak tree in my neighbor's yard, that used to provide partial shade throughout the day to these plants, died this year. I'm wondering if the sunlight is also a contributing factor to the dried leaves. Do I need to move them to a shady location? I saw that SOME azalea's like sun, but the message also said that some like shade. Not knowing what kind of azalea's these are or which ones prefer shade, I'm at a loss.

      I'm hoping someone can help me out.

      Thank you.

      Dawn

      IMG_8941 Azalea in back 2012