17055Re: [AZ] this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a cc

  • George Klump
    Aug 1, 2011

      Dear Bob,

      Eikan is a good Satsuki and very similar to what you have described.  Neverhtheless, it has more salmon color than red at least that's the way mine is.  However, there are endless varieties of Satsuki azaleas which may look like the one you specifically saw.  One such may be R. Bunka which is salmon color in the center and moves to a deeper pink toward the edges. Another is R. Haru-no-hikari, while another is R. Kinpai.  The R. Kinpai has a coral/salmon center and heads out to a nice orange red at the edges.  Another is the R. Sakura-Kagami.  Another possibility is the R. Yata-no-Kagami.

      The problem with the Satsuki azalea insofar as the color description is concerned is that the Satsuki azalea varies tremendously even in the same plant.  That is, a particular Satsuki may have a white center [most of them do] with red, orchid, purple, orange, salmon or pink stripes and/or spots and any/or all of these can be around the edges of the flowers OR the flowers may be a solid color of any one of these.  I have a R. Satsuki among my many Satsuki azaleas and it does all of the above within its general color scheme.  Then, I have also a R. Haru-no-Hibiki and it does the same within its color scheme, i.e. sometimes solid white, sometimes stripes, sometimes solid color all on the same azalea.

      Nuccio's Nurseries carries the largest selection of Satsuki azaleas I know of anywhere in the western USA and they have a national/international reputation for their quality.  You might call them at [626] 794-3383 except for Wednesdays and Thursdays, when they are not open and also closed Sundays till December.  Ask for Tom Nuccio and tell him I suggested you call him;  He'll probably be able to tell you right off the bat what the name of the particular Satsuki azalea is which you seek.  The ones I listed for you come close perhaps, but probably no cigar..  After looking over my list, I think R. Polo and R. Kinpai would be your closest choice.  Give Nuccio's Nurseries a call and ask for Tom or Jim Nuccio.  That would be your best bet.

      George E. Klump
      Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

      On 8/1/2011 12:26 PM, Buz Fuher wrote:

      Hello,
      I am searching for an azalea and the only thing I can tell you about it is the color. It is a medium size bloom with a salmon pink center and is edged with a good sized border of
      chinese red type of color. I live in Sacramento, California and Azaleas do well here. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I was shown a picture in a local nursery and
      it was a Satsuki Eikan, but I can not find a correct picture of my color description.
      Again, Thank You for any help.

      Sincerely,
      Buz Fuher
      email address:  kimonokarma@...