16975Re: [AZ] [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC] - hardwood mulch put on azaleas by mistake

  • michael.campbell3@comcast.net
    Jul 1, 2011
      It will be fine, just pretend it never happened.

      From: "natalie gluck" <nsgluck@...>
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:54:45 PM
      Subject: [AZ] [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC] - hardwood mulch put on azaleas by mistake

      Hello, azalea lovers,

      A lawn service put 3" deep of hardwood mulch under my large, mature azaleas in northern Virginia, near Washington DC (zone 6B). The azaleas are each about 6-8 feet wide, and 4-6 feet tall. There are 2 rows of azaleas, each about 60 feet long, so it would be very difficult for me to remove the mulch and re-do it all with pine mulch. (I didn't know they were using hardwood.)

      Will this one-time application hurt my plants? (I will make sure pine is used in the future.) What, if any, corrective gardening action should I take? Should I wait and see if my plants look yellow or sick, or will that be too late?

      Thanks,
      Natalie

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic