16973Re: [AZ] [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC] - hardwood mulch put on azaleas by mistake

  • Nicholas Yarmoshuk
    Jul 1, 2011
      Our experience with a recent demonstration garden planting has been that inexperienced, over-zealous mulchers have actually piled on mulch that resulted in  phythopthera root rot.  The plants really looked sickly after a while.. . . . . . .

      3 inches is a lot of mulch . . . .  depending on the moisture conditions around the plant  it may be much too much mulch . . .  . .  especially if the mulch is closer than 6 inches from   the base of the plant.   Do scrape the much away from the stem to a diameter of about 6-8 inches.

      Nick Yarmoshuk
      St. Catharines ON Canada.
      http://www.rhodoniagara.org

      On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM, David Nanney <dnanney@...> wrote:

      Natalie, we use hardwood mulch all the time without a problem in Springfield, Va.  As long as the mulch is not piled up on the base of the plant (a problem with any mulch), it should be fine.
      Dave Nanney
      Springfield, Va
      But cool for two weeks in Seattle with our granddaughter

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 30, 2011, at 11:54 AM, natalie gluck <nsgluck@...> wrote:

      Hello, azalea lovers,

      A lawn service put 3" deep of hardwood mulch under my large, mature azaleas in northern Virginia, near Washington DC (zone 6B). The azaleas are each about 6-8 feet wide, and 4-6 feet tall. There are 2 rows of azaleas, each about 60 feet long, so it would be very difficult for me to remove the mulch and re-do it all with pine mulch. (I didn't know they were using hardwood.)

      Will this one-time application hurt my plants? (I will make sure pine is used in the future.) What, if any, corrective gardening action should I take? Should I wait and see if my plants look yellow or sick, or will that be too late?

      Thanks,
      Natalie

      --

      WebRep