16577Re: [AZ] Hardwood

    May 1, 2011
      Hi Nick,

      An HOA is a Home Owner's Association.  It usually involves an agreement that you will do or will not do certain things.  Or, there is a mechanism by which you must seek permission to do certain things.  It's an effort by the community to police itself so that folks cannot damage the property values by bizarre behavior.  It is not all that uncommon; however, I don't believe we have one in my neighborhood.  I suspect they might be more common in newer developments and expensive, "gated communities."

      In this particular example, the individual homeowner is required to plant some kind of hardwood tree in their front yard --- so all of the houses in that development look very much alike from the curb.  The agreement may well specify and limit the kind of trees (e.g., hardwood) may be selected.  Such agreements may require that you limit parking on the street (assuming the homes typically have driveways and garages) or they can forbid you from putting up a flag pole and flying a flag in your front yard; or  put limitations on where you can place a satellite dish.   Such an agreement can require that you maintain your property in a certain fashion, like mow the lawn occasionally.  You might have to seek permission to remove trees of a certain size from your property.  You may be prohibited from running certain businesses out of your home to limit traffic in the neighborhood.

      I understand the principle, but it has always seemed a bit heavy handed to me.
        It strikes a bitter cord when someone finds out they are not permitted to fly the "Stars and Stripes" on their personal property, a common limitation found in many agreements. On the other hand, it's difficult to watch the neighbor next door let their property go totally "wild" (rat's nest) which adversely effects the property values of the surrounding homes and makes it more difficult for you to sell your home.  Every so often, you will read about such a case in the newspaper where a homeowner objects and even goes to court over some aspect of the agreement.  I remember reading about a case where a home owner refused to mow his lawn --- so after many attempts to reason with the individual, the association had it done and billed the home owner.  I don't remember how it turned out.

      William C. Miller III (Bill)
      Bethesda, Maryland --- Zone 7

      Nicholas Yarmoshuk wrote:

      Why not plant a "hardwood"  tree beside the "shrub"
      I'd love to know what is HOA  and where in North America such rules exist.  Why do they exist?
      Thanks for letting us know.
      Nick Yarmoshuk
      St.Catharines ON Canada

      On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Sinead Lancaster <lancaster.sinead@...> wrote:

      Is azalea considered a hardwood? I am told I am req'd by my HOA to have
      a hardwood tree in my front yard and they want me to remove my azalea
      (or as they called it 'the shrub'. Can it be pruned to grow tall and
      narrow like a tree? If so, where might I find the info on how to do it?
      Thank you for being there.
      T S Lancaster

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic