16275Re: [AZ] azalea

  • George Klump
    Apr 1, 2011
      On 3/31/2011 9:39 PM, George Klump wrote:

      You can move the azaleas now, if you are careful.  By that I mean that you will need to dig out a tad beyond the drip line which should be beyond the roots a tad.  You won't need to go very deep, maybe eight inches, but you will need to dig probably 80% of the circumferencer before removing it from the soil by leverage.

      The next consideration is to be very careful where you replant the azaleas.  Oak tree roots can be invasive, especially if the oak trees are deciduous, as those roots will tend to be rather shallow and could get in the way of the azalea roots and kill the azaleas or at least make their lives difficult.

      Then, if the root ball is about six inches deep, then, I would suggest making the hole no deeper than about eight inches.  If the diameter of it is, say, twelve inches, then, make the diameter of the hole at least eighteen inches.

      Just to make sure and to reduce the shock of transplanting the azaleas, I would make a mixture of coarse peat moss, perlite and some good shredded bark in equal parts by volume.  Just "eyeball" it.  Don't use any soil in the mixture.  If you feel you have to, then, I would suggest not adding more than 10% of native soil thoroughly mixed.  Now fill the hole about two-thirds of the way with the mixture, run the hose on it till it becomes a "soup" and watch how fast it drains.  It should be fairly rapid.  Set the plant in the middle of it [after it has drained] and fill it the rest of the way to about one inch below the crown of the azalea.  Water the whole thing once more to make another "soup" and walk away.  When you get to the Fourth of July, put about a cupful of cottonseed meal around each azalea, dry, of course, and water it in gently.  Then, do it again on Labor Day and no more.

      I suggest cottonseed meal for several reasons one of them being that it is organic, slow acting and will not burn, if used as suggested.  In replanting an azalea you do not want a fast acting inorganic fertilizer.  And there are some other good reasons, but that's enough for now.

      George E. Klump
      Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

      On 3/31/2011 4:44 PM, Dg1205114@... wrote:

      this is from the Ask US page, so please send me a cc. I'm about to re do my front in front of my house. It doesnot get a lot of  water  and gets afternoon sun. I have two azaleas that have done o.k. there. I have to move them . I am in raleigh n.c. I think it is in zone 9 ? Can i move them now? The biggest I want to move under some oak trees with some others. I love azaleas but not have  good luck with them. These are about 5yrs old and would  them to live. Any help would be greatly appreciated

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic