16042Re: [AZ] Re: Strange R. occidentale article

    Mar 1, 2011
      Larry,

      Your model for explaining picotee flowers doesn't fit 'Martha Hitchcock'.  For the first several years from cuttings, all flowers are self colored (presumably tetraploid tissue).  Only after the plants gets some size do they develop flowers with a white eye (presumably diploid tissue).  There are numerous anecdotal reports of bordered varieties blooming 100% self colored during certain years which I attribute to environmental modulation.  In addition, the highly variable satsuki don't seem to fit your model.

      I don't believe flower color and ploidy are related in that fashion.

      Bill

      That explains much more than you dreamed.  You should include a bit on Petal Tissue Culture.

      Chrysanthemum petals are stable.  No others are.  No tissue culture house that I know of use petal tissue.

      African Violets hybridizers and others use petal tissue to produce freaks. Seven petals, odd colors and patterns and strange flowers.  The flowers are very unstable.  The plants can reproduce with the odd flowers.

      The R. occidentale plant may be stable.  The flowers can do anything.  Time to throw away the rule book.

      Picotee flowers are typically 2n / 4x.  The diploid being white and the tetraploid being red or purple.  Tissue culture of the color will produce solid color.  Why do they change in midstream?

      --
      Larry Wallace
      Cincinnati

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic