15831Re: [AZ] Item about Ilam Azaleas

  • sjperk5
    Feb 2, 2011
      Our very limited experience here in Salem, NH with Ilam deciduous azalea is they are not very hardy. They survive but do not thrive here. We grew half a dozen and none did well here. Ours were unnamed Ilams.

      Warning ploidy talk.

      Most Ghent, Knaphills and Exburys are very likely polyploids and most of those tetraploids. Most Ilams being based on the Knaphills are most likely polyploids. I would guess the hardier ones are mostly tetraploids. I would guess those that are seed sterile are mostly triploids.

      Most commercial hybrid nonlate blooming deciduous azaleas are polyploids.

      So far every deciduous azalea cross of a diploid by tetraploid has tested as triploid. Our guess is a few individual deciduous azalea plants from such mixed ploidy crosses will be tetraploids but we have found no such lab tested examples to date. The evidence is strong for diploid X tetraploid deciduous azalea occasionally throwing tetraploid offspring but no conclusive evidence to date.

      Note: There are no documented self fertile deciduous azaleas if you define fertile as producing viable offpsring.

      John Perkins
      Salem, NH

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Bob Stelloh <bstelloh@...> wrote:

      > In context, it seems to me that "Dam" is a typo for "Ilam" that
      > slipped by a sloppy/sleepy proofreader. And Ilams (Dams?) have been
      > around for a long time -- I think one of the first deciduous azaleas
      > I killed, probably in the early '70s, was a gorgeous red Ilam.
      >
      > Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7
      >
      > On Feb 1, 2011, at 1:12 PM, William C. Miller III wrote:
      >

      > > Tom,
      > >
      > > As far as I know, which is not very far, the Ilam hybrids are a
      > > product of New Zealand. I really don't know that much about them
      > > --- not even enough to concur with that posting. Like most people,
      > > my info comes from Galle. I read the piece a second time to see if
      > > I missed the reference to a hybrid group named Dam. I agree that
      > > the article raises more questions than it answers.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > > Tom Schuetz wrote:
      > >>

      > >> Bill, yes the site article seems to be about Ilam azaleas, but
      > >> seems confused and I do not know how much to take seriously.
      > >>
      > >> Among other things the article says: "A recital of the virtues of
      > >> these stunning shrubs must include two more features: all are
      > >> deliciously fragrant in blossom, an inheritance from the native
      > >> swamp azalea; and most of them are self sterile so that faded
      > >> blossoms need not be picked from the plants to prevent the
      > >> formation of seeds which normally inhibit bloom for the next
      > >> season. All who grow Ghent azaleas are aware that they bloom
      > >> really well only every second year, unless the dead blossoms are
      > >> plucked from the plants. When the Ilam azaleas become commercially
      > >> available this laborious task will be at an end. Self sterility
      > >> was bred into the plants at the same time that size, wide color
      > >> range, fragrance, heavy texture and the intriguing blossom form
      > >> were blended into one master strain."
      > >>
      > >> true or not?
      > >>
      > >> also "This description of the Dam azaleas is a preview of a rare
      > >> and important event in horticulture. The best plants have not yet
      > >> been named or propagated as clones for commercial distribution in
      > >> America. That will be the next step after the several hundred
      > >> plants now in this country have been tested and evaluated. But
      > >> remember the name, because the Dam azaleas are destined to be
      > >> horticultural sensations when they are placed on the market."
      > >>
      > >> never heard of the Dam azaleas. Is this a spoof or what?
      > >>
      > >> Also whatever happened to the Ilams. Have not heard much in a long
      > >> time.
      > >>
      > >> Tom Schuetz
      > >> schuetz101@...
      > >> Mechanicsburg, PA USDA Zone 6a