      From: "Mike Creel" <mikeacreel@...>
      To: "ASA Azaleaphiles" <azaleas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 9:31:09 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
      Subject: [AZ] Raised bed of pea gravel and mushroom compost [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from Mike Creel included below]

      Here is the raised bed I built and am using to grow out azalea and rhododendron cuttings (previously rooted) and seedlings, as well as some choice clump forming perennials.  The bed is about 3 by 3 feet with the bottom lined by a sheet of brown weed fabric. The media is a mix of 3 parts mushroom compost with one part pea gravel (little rocks of various colors) from Home Depot.  I sprinkled some old pine bark compost on the surface.

      Though I still have some empty space, I currently have planted in the bed a pink Stokes Aster I discovered, a rooted cutting of a white Rhododendron schlippinbachii, a rooted cutting of Georgia Giant azalea, a rooted cutting of a dark Austrinum, a rooted cutting of  Perle de Swynaerde azalea, a seedling of an azalea Bill Dale found, and two early arborescens cuttings.

      The bed has been planting over a week now and all plants look good, better than they did in pots.  I may make more of these beds to grow out cuttings now in pots.  The beds require less watering than pots.  Plants grown in a bed like this will be much easier to remove and put into permanent plantings in the landscape.  I call the bed a Dalton Bed because my friend Terry Dalton uses beds very similar to this to grow out plugs of grasses and sedges.

      The bagged compost I used is Lawn and Garden Mushroom compost from Simms Bark in Tuscumbia, Ala., sold by Lowes in South Carolina. It does not burn.  I have grown vegetables like tomatoes in the pure compost.  Some people have grown tomato plants in the bag after slitting the top and making drain holes in the bottom.

      Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      Nature is my Greenhouse
      Fall-Line Sandhills region
      Lexington County, South Carolina