14120Re: [AZ] Deer Fence

  • Steve Henning
    Apr 5 6:41 AM
      Hi Jim,

      Unfortunately, lots of things are effective until the deer get hungry. First soap and hair were effective for me until the winter of '96. Then deer netting and a 5' fence were effective were effective for me until the winter of '10. Now I am looking for complete effectiveness with an 8' black steel deer fence.

      Steve

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Jim Willhite <jwillhite@...> wrote:

      > A single 6' fence was effective for me.
      > jim willhite
      > west chester, pa
      >

      > On Sunday, April 4, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Barry Sperling wrote:
      >
      > > My county (Fairfax, VA) limits fence heights to 6 ft. Could 2 6'
      > > fences,
      > > say 3' or 4' apart, be effective?
      > > Barry
      > >
      > > Whipple, Andy wrote:
      > >>
      > >> This is an intriguing discussion as it suggests there may actually be
      > >> a fairly simple way to deter deer from eating all our precious plants.
      > >> Can anyone provide some actual experience beyond the previous emails?
      > >> That is, how low can two fences be (and how far apart) to be
      > >> effective? Does the outward slant reduce the necessary height? I'm
      > >> seeking (as we all are!) the greatest effect for the least expenditure
      > >> of time and money. My situation is out in the woods, with no grass to
      > >> tend to, so the slant idea may be just fine if it's effective.
      > >>
      > >> Who has some actual experience beyond what Steve and George have
      > >> reported?
      > >>
      > >> Thanks to all.
      > >>
      > >> Andy Whipple
      > >>
      > >> in Indiana but may be in the mountains in a bit.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic