14118Re: [AZ] Deer Fence

  • George Klump
    Apr 4, 2010
      I would think so, Andy.  But Steve has a good idea, too, about slanting the second fence.  Why not slant the second fence at about 45 degrees?  I would slant it so that the top edge is at your 6-ft. limit and probably a few feet back from the vertical fence.  And, again, as Steve suggested, paint the fences black to confuse the deer, especially at night.  The only problem with all of this, as I suggested earlier, is that it takes some room to pull this off.  Not everyone wishes to spare that much property.  However, I would think, too, that sloping the second fence away from the first one may make it more confusing for the deer, since it would be a wider area and it would prevent the deer from seeing landing lights.  They do not like to jump blind in the dark!

      George Klump
      Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

      On 4/4/2010 9:41 AM, Barry Sperling wrote:
      My county (Fairfax, VA) limits fence heights to 6 ft. Could 2 6' fences,
      say 3' or 4' apart, be effective?
      Barry

      Whipple, Andy wrote:

      This is an intriguing discussion as it suggests there may actually be
      a fairly simple way to deter deer from eating all our precious plants.
      Can anyone provide some actual experience beyond the previous emails?
      That is, how low can two fences be (and how far apart) to be
      effective? Does the outward slant reduce the necessary height? I'm
      seeking (as we all are!) the greatest effect for the least expenditure
      of time and money. My situation is out in the woods, with no grass to
      tend to, so the slant idea may be just fine if it's effective.

      Who has some actual experience beyond what Steve and George have reported?

      Thanks to all.

      Andy Whipple

      in Indiana but may be in the mountains in a bit.