14117Re: [AZ] Deer Fence

  • George Klump
    Apr 4 7:49 PM

      You're right, Steve, about a deer being able to jump with little or no effort.  However, we have the extra added attraction here of coyotes and mountain lions.  The coyotes have a den down in the check dam across the street behind some homes.  They have regular parties there during the warm summer nights.  I witnessed 8 or 9 having a seance on the corner in front of our house one night about midnight.  A local dog mistook them for friends of his.  Deer tend to give them wide berth.  The neighborhood immediately northwest of us has signs posted in some areas of it where mountain lions have been seen around homes.  Deer won't come near that area unless they're sure no predators are around.  I've seen a buck jump nearly straight up the side of a granite outcropping here: it was absolutely amazing.  However, his leaps were on the order of 3' to 6' each.  Nevertheless!  :-P

      Most of the "deer" fences are at least 8' in height.  The concept of the two fences parallel close together is that the deer don't see the second fence, as you have noted and, if the fenced area is set up right, there is really no way out.  My father could not put up fences of this kind on the granite slab where his house was.  However, he did put heavy chicken wire around his roses and that was successful.  Two or three deer would come walking through just as if they owned the place.  They could look at the roses, but not eat them!

      George Klump
      Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA

      On 4/3/2010 8:50 PM, Steve Henning wrote:

      We use a similar concept in the East with our white-tail deer, except the fences are closer together and the reason is not that they can't but that they won't. I have seem them jump a 6' fence effortlessly just standing next to the fence. They don't run, they just spring over like a standing high jump. But if they don't see a clear place to land, they won't try the jump. The most effective fences are slanted at a 45 degree angle up and out toward the deer. The deer don't do running broad jumps, just simple up and overs unless the are frightened. The lateral distance of the slant fences stops them cold.

      I personally don't want a slant fence because I don't want to have to take care of the area under such a fence. Typically they use something like roundup or stronger.

      White-tail deer will try to go under first. Jumping is their last resort. They are much better jumpers than they realize, fortunately. Most deer fences are black because deer won't jump a fence unless they can see the top. With the black fence it is much harder to see the top, especially at night when they do the most damage.

      steve

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups .com, George Klump <mixturev@.. .> wrote:

      > I didn't really want to get into this discussion about deer fences.
      > However, experience here has given at least one possible solution and
      > the forestry boys evidently back it up.
      >
      > Deer need some take-off room to jump any fence. Many people here are
      > losing azaleas, roses and anything deer love to eat, since we're all
      > close to the mountains where the deer roam freely. The only real
      > solution which for most people is not really practical is to build two
      > fences within, say, 8 feet of each other, e.g. concentric style. If the
      > distance between the two fences is 8 feet or less and the fences are
      > equally high, the deer will not jump them. Why? Because according to
      > some of the forestry boys who have apparently done this, the deer cannot
      > jump over two fences spread apart like this. They will land in between
      > the two fences which traps them, since they cannot jump over two fences
      > spread out in this manner and they do not have enough take-off room to
      > make it over the second fence, if they did jump the first one. Being
      > trapped between two fences with no way out panics the be-junior out of
      > deer, since their basic theme song is the old popular classic "Don't
      > Fence Me In". I suspect this works with any fence, chain-link, wood,
      > log, etc. It is in any event humane, so the government can do nothing
      > about it. Anyway, it was an idea which I got from the forestry boys.
      >
      > George Klump
      > Southern California Chapter, ARS/ASA
      >

      > On 4/3/2010 12:23 PM, sjperk5 wrote:
      > >
      > > Steve
      > >
      > > I would be willing to fight the deer but I would not be willing to go
      > > to the effort of fighting our multiple levels of nanny state
      > > government to do so.
      > >
      > > Being an Indiana farmboy at heart my position is animals that destroy
      > > your property have to be taken care of no questions asked.
      > >
      > > You put up fences to keep your animals in not to keep other animals out.
      > >
      > > John Perkins
      > > Salem, NH
      > >
      > > --- In azaleas@yahoogroups .com <mailto:azaleas% 40yahoogroups. com>,
      > > "sjperk5" <sjperk5@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Steve
      > > >
      > > > Put in simple terms if we had deer we would stop gardening and work
      > > at removing their food supply.
      > > >
      > > > Then I would see a lawyer and start a class action suit against Disney.
      > > >
      > > > John Perkins
      > > > Salem,NH
      > > >
      > > > --- In azaleas@yahoogroups .com <mailto:azaleas% 40yahoogroups. com>,

      > > also. Deer only have biting teeth on their lower jaw, so they don't
      > > bite, they rip plants apart. I don't think anyone would want to take
      > > the effort to dig up our leafless twigs.

      > > an 8-foot hi-tensile black wire mesh fencing stretched between wood
      > > posts that are 24' apart except adjacent to corners and gates where
      > > they are typically 12' apart. We don't want the fence in front of our
      > > house, so we will run the fence from the sides of the house and then
> [...]

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic