      From: sjperk5 <sjperk5@...>
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, November 2, 2009 7:58:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [AZ] 'Galle's Choice'

      Mike

      It would be interesting to test if Fred Galle's Choice Cream is indeed self fertile because this would be rare for a plant with such simple parentage.

      Dick Jaynes of Kalmia fame did some studies in the 70's that showed selfing individual plants of deciduous azaleas species failed to take in most instances and in the few instances where they did very weak seedlings resulted.

      The article was published in 1976 and can be found on the web.

      He was attempting to discover if deciduous azaleas could be used as a bridge to developing yellow evergreen azaleas.

      My money would be it is not self fertile at least to any great degree but then again the only way to know for certain is to test it.

      I plan to self several 4ns in 2010.

      Thanks for following up on my inquiry.

      John Perkis
      Salem, NH

      ymailto="mailto:azaleas%40yahoogroups.com">azaleas@yahoogroups .com
      > Sent: Sun, November 1, 2009 8:26:08 AM
      > Subject: [AZ] 'Galle's Choice'
      >

      > Does anyone on this forum grow 'Galle's Choice'?
      >
      > There is a very good chance this is a cross of caledulaceum X colemanii.
      >
      > John Perkins
      > Salem, NH

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic