13500Re: [AZ] 'Galle's Choice'

  • sjperk5
    Nov 2, 2009
      Mike

      It would be interesting to test if Fred Galle's Choice Cream is indeed self fertile because this would be rare for a plant with such simple parentage.

      Dick Jaynes of Kalmia fame did some studies in the 70's that showed selfing individual plants of deciduous azaleas species failed to take in most instances and in the few instances where they did very weak seedlings resulted.

      The article was published in 1976 and can be found on the web.

      He was attempting to discover if deciduous azaleas could be used as a bridge to developing yellow evergreen azaleas.

      My money would be it is not self fertile at least to any great degree but then again the only way to know for certain is to test it.

      I plan to self several 4ns in 2010.

      Thanks for following up on my inquiry.

      John Perkis
      Salem, NH

      --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Mike Creel <mikeacreel@...> wrote:

      > I have grown Fred Galle's Choice Cream (austrinum X atlanticum, or the reverse) for years and it definitely seems to be self fertile. Growing isolated the plant every season is filled with good seed pods.  Since there have been NO responses regarding Galle's Choice, which is described in Galle's Azalea book, I assume that no one grows it and no nursery has continued it.  I will check with Hank Bruno at Calloway Gardens to determine if the original plant still grows in the gardens there.
      >  Mike Creel, SC USDA Zone 8a
      > Lexington County, South Carolina

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic