      From: azaleas@yahoogroups.com [mailto: azaleas@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Worthington Leighton
      Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 7:18 PM
      To: azaleas@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [AZ] Re:Color diversity of Western azalea decreases southward?

      Hello, Mark Leighton here from Houston .. will that azalea grow here? Where can I obtain one?

      I appreciate the info Mark.. that azalea is absolutely outstanding

      From: Richard <red@redsrhodies. com>
      To: "Azalea Group" < azaleas@yahoogroups .com >
      Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 11:01 AM

      I would say that your statement is true in general although I would not call the northern plants 'tree like'. They are still a 'shrub' in that they are multi stemmed. They can be big shrubs and, depending on the location, get fairly tall. I have several in the garden that are 8' or so but they are in afternoon shade or very old, 30+ years, plants. In many areas in the wild they are periodically burned and come back with vigor after a fire. Last week we were in an area that burned in 2002 and the R. occ were up to 5' in some areas. All in full sun as all the trees were burned.

      I have no idea why they are stoloniferous down south. We do not see that up north.

      Dick 'Red' Cavender, Red's Rhodies, Sherwood Oregon USA Zone 8

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic