The East Village Inky's Annual Holiday Letter

  • Greg Kotis & Ayun Halliday
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2006
      The Halloween candy's nearly one third gone, the gingkos are stinking
      up the sidewalks of Brooklyn, and Heath Ledger didn't move - he was
      merely renovating! Peace to you and yours in the coming year.

      xo Ayun, Greg, Inky and Milo

      PS:

      Before we lose one another to our individual holiday freak-outs and
      melt downs, I wanted to see if I could put the bite on your calendar's
      December page. Also fall to my cyber knees to beg you to stock up on
      some Dirty Sugar Cookies for all your holiday gift giving needs.
      http://www.ayunhalliday.com/cookies/index.html

      I've got three events coming up in the New York area and I'm going to
      look like an even bigger ayuss-head than usual if it's just me and a
      bunch of empty folding chairs on the nights in question. I don't want
      to go home with a big plate of cookies. I mean I do, but only if they
      were baked by somebody else. Please mark your calendars accordingly:

      12/4 - A. Halliday = ayuss-head
      12/9 - Bust Craftacular
      12/16 AH Dirty Sugar Cookies Ayuss Redux
      12/24 Animals Talk at Midnight

      Except cross out the ayuss references and replace them with the
      particulars concerning the holiday readings / cookie swaps in Brooklyn
      and Manhattan. If you can't make it yourself, consider sending a proxy
      or twelve! Information follows at the bottom of this post-script. Feel
      free to disseminate that information far and wide.

      But first, speaking of the holidays, if you're not sure what to cook
      for judgmental visiting relatives, may I suggest pumpkin seeds roasted
      with cayenne and Mexican hot chocolate powder? How about pressing up
      some hot fig, brie and watercress panini in a second hand sandwich
      maker from the Salvation Army? They've already formulated their opinion
      of you - make sure it sticks with a recipe from my food blog?
      http://www.dirtysugarcookies.blogspot.com

      Or hell, just ignore them! That's what I'd do! Lock yourself in a room
      like some sulky teenager! There are more than 50 people who know
      exactly how you feel at the East Village Inky myspace group!
      http://groups.myspace.com/EastVillageInky

      Now then...

      Monday, December 4, 7pm
      Reading, Signing and Dirty Sugar Cookie Swap
      http://www.bluestockings.com
      172 Allen Street between Stanton and Rivington
      NYC
      212.777.6028

      Join me and Join me and Anna Lappé, co-author of Grub: Ideas for an
      Urban Organic Kitchen as we get our eat on! Bring a plate of cookies
      (and a couple dozen lit-loving friends, also bearing cookies). We'll
      nibble throughout the reading, then mix the remains for distribution.
      Take home an assortment for all your holiday entertaining needs.
      Hell yes, we're serious! The cookies don't have to be dirty, sugar, or
      even homemade, though you may want to leave out the nuts. We don't want
      to go into anaphylactic shock in the middle of our event.
      here's more info about Grub: http://www.eatgrub.org/

      Saturday, December 9th, 2006, from 12 pm to 9pm
      Bust Magazine's Holiday Craftacular!
      http://www.bust.com/craftacular
      The Warsaw
      261 Driggs Ave [at Eckford]
      Brooklyn, NY
      718-387-0505

      Stock up on back issues of The East Village Inky, autographed copies of
      a certain someone's self-mocking autobiographies, original works by
      Inky and Milo and other effluvia, including t-shirts, onesies and
      homemade Dare To Be Heinie magnets at Mother Superior's East Village
      Inky booth! We're hoping to modify Inky's Halloween costume, so she can
      roam the floor, peddling zines Cigarette Girl-style.
      Tons of vendors will be on hand, plus music, kiehlbasa, and a cash
      bar! Make an evening of it!

      Saturday, December 16, 2006, 7pm
      Reading, Signing and Dirty Sugar Cookie Swap

      Vox Pop
      http://voxpopnet.net/
      1022 Cortelyou Rd.
      Brooklyn, NY
      718 940 2084

      My apartment's too dang small for holiday entertaining, so I'm going to
      treat this reading as a party (and make my guests pay for their food).

      Bring a plate of cookies! Take home a plate of cookies!

      Cobble together some DIY holiday cards and ornaments (feel free to
      supplement my meager assortment of crafting materials with stuff you
      bring from home). Special musical guest (or possibly just my record
      player...)

      Feel free to bring the kiddies for a special reading of my nearly
      completed, not yet published children's book, Always Lots of Heinies at
      the Zoo. (Sensitive tots may have to cover their ears now and then as
      the holiday-themed Dirty Sugar chapter I'm planning to share is chock
      full of F-Bombs.

      Enjoy delicious food and drink from <a
      href=http://voxpopnet.net/food.html>Vox Pop's cafe</a>! Special
      discounts (and treatment!) for those who purchase Dirty Sugar Cookies.

      Provided we get enough eggnog in him, Greg Kotis might let you sit on
      his lap! He doesn't give a hell if you've been good.

      In re the cookie swap, hell yes, I'm serious! Bring a plate of cookies
      (and a couple dozen lit-loving friends, also bearing cookies). We'll
      snitch a couple throughout, then mix the remains for distribution.
      Take home an assortment for all your holiday entertaining needs. Your
      cookies don't have to be dirty, sugar, or even homemade, though you may
      want to leave out the nuts. I don't want some kid's peanut allergy
      manifesting itself midway through Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo.

      PPS-
      Good lord, you're still reading? I knew there was a reason why I liked
      you best out of all the people I spammed with this mass email.
      xo Ayun Halliday
      Chief Primatologist
      The East Village Inky
      Dare to be Heinie