Awful August

  • Ayun Halliday
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      Hello, my hot young friends!

      I've been spending July here at the summer palace, picking
      blackberries, making mojitos, getting bit up by ticks, wondering what
      the h-e-double-hockey-sticks happened to the mail that was supposed to
      be forwarded from Brooklyn, and preparing to go on yet another virtual
      book tour, this time in service of Mama Lama Ding Dong, the retitled UK
      edition of my first book, The Big Rumpus: A Mother's Tale from the
      Trenches.

      Thank scrod it's a virtual tour, because from what I hear there's a
      heat wave going on, and nothing makes me crabbier than ripping my
      thighs off the vinyl upholstery of some car. (I deeply regret to inform
      you that Greg has purchased a Superu Outback. I don't know how he
      expects me to drive the damn thing when I can't even spell Superu.) For
      those unfamiliar with the drill, I'll be visiting 31 blogs in 31 days
      to talk about the book, my kids, my lack of parenting skills, and other
      topics ranging from lice to ... well, whatever the blog du jour feels
      like lobbing at it. This time, all 31 blogs center on parenting, and
      it's been my experience that there be monsters in the comments section,
      so I'd be mighty obliged to any East Village Inky readers who'll
      volunteer to come along and watch my back!

      Links to the blogs du jour can be found here:
      http://www.ayunhalliday.com/rumpus/index.html

      If you're really up for slapping on some tie-dye and plugging the crock
      pot into the cigarette lighter, sign up to be a DingDonghead! As a
      dedicated tour follower, you'll receive spam-free daily notification of
      the blog du jour for your checking pleasure every day in August. Just
      fire off an email to this address:
      Mamalamadingdong-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      For those whose NYC-heiners are marinating in their own sweat, I have
      two further air-cooled August recommendations:
      Pig Farm by Greg Kotis at the Roundabout Theater
      Because babysitting ain't free, here's a discount code:
      PFINTE
      Enter it into the discount code box when purchasing tickets here:
      http://www.roundabouttheatre.org/pels.htm

      and

      The Letter Purloined
      which our friends in Theater Oobleck are presenting as part of the New
      York City Fringe Festival for four nights only! And when I say
      "nights", I mostly mean late afternoons.
      More details at www.theateroobleck.com

      Okee dokee, I've got to escape to the pond before the Empress Dowager
      returns from an excursion to the dump. See you on the cyber road!
      ayun
      --Apple-Mail-5--22356058

[...]

      param>

      More details at www.theateroobleck.com

      The food blog's been a little slow b/c of this dang dial up, but I swear, I'll have it hopping
      again soon with some of the huevos rancheros, coconut cod, toaster oven blackberry
      cobbler and scallop rolls with homemade relish I've been busting out here at the summer
      palace. If you've got an ice cream maker, you can content yourself with the Mexican
      Chocolate Gelato that's one of the few recipes I've managed to post this month.
      http://www.dirtysugarcookies.blogspot.com

      Okee dokee, I've got to escape to the pond before the Empress Dowager
      returns from an excursion to the dump. See you on the cyber road!

      xo, Ayun Halliday
      Chief Primatologist

      Dare to be Heinie!
      http://www.ayunhalliday.com