Waving my Big Rump around in May (Am I inviting porn spam?)

  • Ayun Halliday and Greg Kotis
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 6:31 AM
      howdy do,
      it's ayun halliday with a bad old case of carpal tunnel syndrome. East
      Village Inky #19 is all stapled up and sent out and the new book, No Touch
      Monkey! And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late is fairly shipshape too,
      awaiting publication in November. In the meantime, I'll be popping up around
      the NYC area in a professional capacity a couple of times this month, with
      some farflung readings on the boards for this summer - the full scoop is
      below. And webmaster Dave says he'll have the new incriminating photos up on
      http://www.ayunhalliday.com in the next day or so.
      HAPPY RAINY SPRING DAY! xo Ayun

      Sunday, May 11th, 2-5 pm
      MAMAS RISING UP! ‹ a festival of resistance & solidarity across borders to
      reclaim Mother's Day
      Central Park's East Meadow
      (5th Avenue between 97th and 98th Streets)
      Reasons to show up include performances and readings by Ayun Halliday,
      InfiniTee, Sarah Hussain, and Geoffrey the Guitarist; and speakers including
      Sarah Goodyear (journalist and mother), Maria Rentas (whose son has been
      unjustly sentenced to 11 years in prison), Carol Taylor (grandmother and
      first black flight attendant), and Frieda Zames and Doris Fleischer
      (disability rights activists and authors). Plus face painting, balloon
      animals, trash playshop (crafts out of recyclables) with Rolando of
      Garbagioland, and story time for kids with Lobi Redhook. AND MORE!
      Why Mother's Day? In 1870, author, abolitionist, peace activist and
      suffragette Julia Ward Howe attempted to get recognition for a national
      Mother's Day as "a worldwide protest of women against the cruelties of war."
      She called for women to rise up in protest on Mother's Day. MAMA, a NYC
      grassroots collective of radical mothers, wants to reclaim Mother's Day 2003
      as a day of activism, resistance and women's solidarity.
      for more info, email the festival organizer @ <anima212@...>

      * Sunday, May 18, noon to 6 p.m.
      BROOKLYN'S ALTERNATIVE SMALL PRESS & BOOK FAIR: a celebration of poets,
      writers, alternative publishers, and performers
      at the Old Stone House, 336 Third Street, Park Slope, INSIDE J.J. Byrne Park
      between 4th & 5th Avenues, Brooklyn.
      Come one, come all! Free admission to the public!
      DIRECTIONS: The N local, R and F trains stop nearby at the 9th Street/4th
      Avenue station; walk up 4th or 5th Avenue to 4th Street and enter the park.
      The Old Stone House is in the middle of the park. The 63 bus stops in front
      of J. J. Byrne Park on Fifth Avenue.
      Supposedly there's a great playground nearby and a street fair that will be
      going on on 5th Avenue, so you can make a wingding of it. I'll probably read
      at some point... and there will be plenty of Big Rumpuses and East Village
      Inkys for sale on my table.

      COMING THIS SUMMER:

      * The Last Week of June, Bee Lavender, editor of HipMama's online edition
      (http://www.hipmama.com) and creator of the zine series, A Beautiful Final
      Tribute and I will be reading around the NYC area.

      * If I can scrape the scratch together, I'll be reading at the L.A.
      Mamagathering and teaching a memoir writing workshop July 11 - 13
      (http://www.mamagathering.com

      * Wednesday, August 6 at 7pm
      Reading at Borders Bookstore in Framingham, MA
      85 Worcester Rd (rte. 9), Framingham MA, 01701
      508-875-2321

      --
      If you're a mother, if you have three thumbs, if you're uncircumcised, if
      you ever believed in Santa or the Easter bunny, if you DARE TO BE HEINIE