Listeroid and AFA

  • Mac McQuaid
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hello all ..

      I am new to the group so hope this is the correct place to ask this
      question.

      First... a little history about myself. I am retired. We live "off the
      grid" in western Montana. Currently using solar panels, L16 battery
      bank and 6/1 Listeroid diesel engine running on home brew biodiesel
      producing both AC power for the shop and DC to top off the battery
      bank for home use. I have a small machine shop and enjoy building stuff.

      I have an interest in Axial Flux Alternator powered by my 650 rpm
      Listeroid diesel. with the following questions:

      1) is this a good match?
      2) anyone else built this setup?
      3) how many amps could I expect to produce with a home made AFA
      without heating problems
      4) is there a thread that deals with this subject or am I in the wrong
      place

      Any help would be greatly appreciated

      Mac
    • Steve Spence
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2007
        This is indeed the place. We also have a listeroid, and are building a 3kw
        axial flux alternator for it. It's a perfect match.

        Steve Spence
        http://www.green-trust.org
        > I am new to the group so hope this is the correct place to ask this
        > question.
        >
        > First... a little history about myself. I am retired. We live "off the
        > grid" in western Montana. Currently using solar panels, L16 battery
        > bank and 6/1 Listeroid diesel engine running on home brew biodiesel
        > producing both AC power for the shop and DC to top off the battery
        > bank for home use. I have a small machine shop and enjoy building stuff.
        >
        > I have an interest in Axial Flux Alternator powered by my 650 rpm
        > Listeroid diesel. with the following questions:
        >
        > 1) is this a good match?
        > 2) anyone else built this setup?
        > 3) how many amps could I expect to produce with a home made AFA
        > without heating problems
        > 4) is there a thread that deals with this subject or am I in the wrong
        > place
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated
        >
        > Mac
        >

        > Group Email Addresses
        > Related Link:
        > http://www.green-trust.org/2006/06/axial-flux-permanent-magnet-alternator.html
        > Post message: axialflux@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: axialflux-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dan Fink
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
          Hi Mac!
          Yes, Yes, 2kw, and yes.

          http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/10/26/141411/24

          It's working absolutely great for us, with a steady 2kw output and a
          stator that's not overheating.

          DANF
          http://www.otherpower.com

          I have an interest in Axial Flux Alternator powered by my 650 rpm
          Listeroid diesel. with the following questions:

          1) is this a good match?
          2) anyone else built this setup?
          3) how many amps could I expect to produce with a home made AFA
          without heating problems
          4) is there a thread that deals with this subject or am I in the wrong
          place
        • Dan Bartmann
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
            Hi Mac -
            We recently built a 2KW alternator for battery charing that's directly
            driven by my listeroid 6/1. I could probably have close to 4KW from
            it - but my batteries wouldn't know what to do with it all, 2KW is a
            nice charge rate. Mine does 2KW at 600 rpm. There is some discussion
            about it here: http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/10/26/141411/24

            It would also not be difficult to build a 120VAC (or 240VAC) unit for
            it - the trick is keeping the efficiency up high (this means basically
            - big magnets and thick wire in the windings) so that the voltage
            doesn't vary too much under load, because it is impossible to regulate
            these alternators (or at least.. very difficult). Although - I don't
            see much point in that. It is very handy though to build a battery
            charger - much more efficient than running a standard alternator or
            using a generator head/running the output through an inverter.

            A very good place also to discuss this sort of thing is the forum at
            listerengine.com, and there is also a thread (borderline flame war)
            about mine here:
            http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=2734.0

            We also built an interesting axial flux battery charger for a 1903 6hp
            steam engine this summer: http://otherpower.com/steamengine.shtml

            You can certainly do this - and done right it can be very efficient.
            As with any sort of generator - the trick is matching the load to the
            engine (it's easier with something like a diesel engine than it is
            with a wind turbine).

            --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Mac McQuaid" <mac@...> wrote:

            > Hello all ..
            >
            > I am new to the group so hope this is the correct place to ask this
            > question.
            >
            > First... a little history about myself. I am retired. We live "off the
            > grid" in western Montana. Currently using solar panels, L16 battery
            > bank and 6/1 Listeroid diesel engine running on home brew biodiesel
            > producing both AC power for the shop and DC to top off the battery
            > bank for home use. I have a small machine shop and enjoy building
            stuff.

            > I have an interest in Axial Flux Alternator powered by my 650 rpm
            > Listeroid diesel. with the following questions:
            >
            > 1) is this a good match?
            > 2) anyone else built this setup?
            > 3) how many amps could I expect to produce with a home made AFA
            > without heating problems
            > 4) is there a thread that deals with this subject or am I in the wrong
            > place
            >
            > Any help would be greatly appreciated
            >
            > Mac

          • Dan Bartmann
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
              Hi Mac - (I hope I've not posted this twice... I tried earlier but it
              seems not to have taken after after a few hours)
              We recently built a 2KW alternator for battery charing that's directly
              driven by my listeroid 6/1. I could probably have close to 4KW from
              it - but my batteries wouldn't know what to do with it all, 2KW is a
              nice charge rate. Mine does 2KW at 600 rpm. There is some discussion
              and detail about how we built it/wound the stator here:
              http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/10/26/141411/24

              I might have done better to build a larger alternator for it (3 - 4KW)
              and run the engine more slowly to keep the charge rate at 2kW - but I
              wanted to use our standard wind turbine parts and keep the efficiency
              high at 2KW. (large alternators start getting expensive)

              One big advantage to doing this (other than high efficiency if you get
              it right) is not having a belt. I find my engine fairly difficult to
              start when it's very cold unless I take the belt off.

              It would also not be difficult to build a 120VAC (or 240VAC) unit for
              it - the trick is keeping the efficiency up high (this means basically
              - big magnets and thick wire in the windings) so that the voltage
              doesn't vary too much under load, because it is impossible to regulate
              these alternators (or at least.. very difficult). Although - I don't
              see much point in that. It is very handy though to build a battery
              charger - much more efficient than running a standard alternator or
              using a generator head/running the output through an inverter.

              A very good place also to discuss this sort of thing is the forum at
              listerengine.com, and there is also a thread (borderline flame war)
              about mine here:
              http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=2734.0

              We also built an interesting axial flux battery charger for a 1903 6hp
              steam engine this summer: http://otherpower.com/steamengine.shtml

              You can certainly do this - and done right it can be very efficient.
              As with any sort of generator - the trick is matching the load to the
              engine (it's easier with something like a diesel engine than it is
              with a wind turbine).

              --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Mac McQuaid" <mac@...> wrote:

              > Hello all ..
              >
              > I am new to the group so hope this is the correct place to ask this
              > question.
              >
              > First... a little history about myself. I am retired. We live "off the
              > grid" in western Montana. Currently using solar panels, L16 battery
              > bank and 6/1 Listeroid diesel engine running on home brew biodiesel
              > producing both AC power for the shop and DC to top off the battery
              > bank for home use. I have a small machine shop and enjoy building
              stuff.

              > I have an interest in Axial Flux Alternator powered by my 650 rpm
              > Listeroid diesel. with the following questions:
              >
              > 1) is this a good match?
              > 2) anyone else built this setup?
              > 3) how many amps could I expect to produce with a home made AFA
              > without heating problems
              > 4) is there a thread that deals with this subject or am I in the wrong
              > place
              >
              > Any help would be greatly appreciated
              >
              > Mac

            • Mac McQuaid
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2007
                Dan ...

                Thanks for the additional info.

                I am currently running two Ford alternators limited to 50 amps output
                each to keep from burning up the diodes. I have a 6/1 Fuking Listeroid
                engine. My goal is to build some sort of a DC power source for my 12
                volt battery bank (2,100 ah) that will produce 200 amps @ 13 - 14
                volts. Sounds like the AFA is the answer. I have a couple of questions
                more than are found on the links you have included.

                You mentioned that "big alternators" get expensive. Assuming I do all
                my own work .. what do you estimate magnets would cost for the project
                assuming a 3kw alternator? What kind of other major costs can I expect?

                You indicate that you use 4 strands of #15 ga. copper wire. Is there a
                reason you use multiple strands of smaller wire vs. one strand of
                larger wire to wind the coils?

                Some pictures show round magnets while others show rectangular ones.
                Any particular reason? Is there a general rule for magnet thickness?
                Thicker = more amps or volts?

                What would be the result of more magnets & coils such as 15 vs. 12?
                Advantages and disadvantages?

                Does the angle iron mount you show on the Listeroid to hold the stator
                seem to be strong enough to not vibrate or is a bottom stabilizer needed?

                Thanks in advance for all your help

                Mac

                --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Bartmann" <danb@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > Hello all ..
                > >
                > > I am new to the group so hope this is the correct place to ask this
                > > question.
                > >
                > > First... a little history about myself. I am retired. We live "off the
                > > grid" in western Montana. Currently using solar panels, L16 battery
                > > bank and 6/1 Listeroid diesel engine running on home brew biodiesel
                > > producing both AC power for the shop and DC to top off the battery
                > > bank for home use. I have a small machine shop and enjoy building
                > stuff.
                > >
                > > I have an interest in Axial Flux Alternator powered by my 650 rpm
                > > Listeroid diesel. with the following questions:
                > >
                > > 1) is this a good match?
                > > 2) anyone else built this setup?
                > > 3) how many amps could I expect to produce with a home made AFA
                > > without heating problems
                > > 4) is there a thread that deals with this subject or am I in the wrong

              • votecoffee
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                  To control the output voltage you need to regulate the speed of the
                  diesel engine. Higher rpm=higher voltage, lower rpm equals lower
                  voltage. When a load is applied, the diesel engine will slow down
                  unless throttle is increased. More load means more throttle to
                  maintain the rpm to keep a constant voltage. The best way to regulate
                  is to measure rpm of motor using a tachometer that outputs the pulses
                  into a microprocessor and use that to control the throttle using
                  whatever you choose. I recommend arduino stamps, they're cheap and
                  easy to program. The reason I recommend a microprocessor, because it
                  is possible to go all mechanical or even hard wire a circuit is
                  because with a microprocessor you can modify it, change, add more
                  complexity, etc as needed. And it's cheap and simple to boot. I
                  would recommend running your diesel engine at it's most efficient rpm
                  and using pulleys or gears to step it down to the speed that the
                  alternator, generator head or whatever takes to put out your desired
                  voltage. To closer to the engine's efficient rpm you are, the less
                  fuel you'll use. A lot of engines run most efficiently in the range
                  of 2000ish. If you have any questions let me know. Diesel engines
                  running electric power need to be regulated. It's crucial to keep
                  good battery life. And your batteries should have a charge regulator
                  on them as well to keep from overcharging.
                • Steve Spence
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                    Listeroids are governed to their design speed of 650 rpm. A perfect match
                    for a Axial Flux Alternator.

                    Steve Spence
                    http://www.green-trust.org
                    > To control the output voltage you need to regulate the speed of the
                    > diesel engine. Higher rpm=higher voltage, lower rpm equals lower
                    > voltage. When a load is applied, the diesel engine will slow down
                    > unless throttle is increased. More load means more throttle to
                    > maintain the rpm to keep a constant voltage. The best way to regulate
                    > is to measure rpm of motor using a tachometer that outputs the pulses
                    > into a microprocessor and use that to control the throttle using
                    > whatever you choose. I recommend arduino stamps, they're cheap and
                    > easy to program. The reason I recommend a microprocessor, because it
                    > is possible to go all mechanical or even hard wire a circuit is
                    > because with a microprocessor you can modify it, change, add more
                    > complexity, etc as needed. And it's cheap and simple to boot. I
                    > would recommend running your diesel engine at it's most efficient rpm
                    > and using pulleys or gears to step it down to the speed that the
                    > alternator, generator head or whatever takes to put out your desired
                    > voltage. To closer to the engine's efficient rpm you are, the less
                    > fuel you'll use. A lot of engines run most efficiently in the range
                    > of 2000ish. If you have any questions let me know. Diesel engines
                    > running electric power need to be regulated. It's crucial to keep
                    > good battery life. And your batteries should have a charge regulator
                    > on them as well to keep from overcharging.
                    >

                    > Group Email Addresses
                    > Related Link:
                    > http://www.green-trust.org/2006/06/axial-flux-permanent-magnet-alternator.html
                    > Post message: axialflux@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subscribe: axialflux-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Mac McQuaid
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                      Has anyone used a flywheel from a car engine for a rotor plate? Would
                      take some machine work but might be worth while.

                      These should be cheap and available plus would add "flywheel" effect
                      to the Listeroid (as if you need more:).

                      Mac
                    • Dan Bartmann
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Hi Mac -

                        > I am currently running two Ford alternators limited to 50 amps output
                        > each to keep from burning up the diodes. I have a 6/1 Fuking Listeroid
                        > engine. My goal is to build some sort of a DC power source for my 12
                        > volt battery bank (2,100 ah) that will produce 200 amps @ 13 - 14
                        > volts. Sounds like the AFA is the answer. I have a couple of questions
                        > more than are found on the links you have included.

                        When dealing with lots of power, 12 Volts becomes tedious....

                        > You mentioned that "big alternators" get expensive. Assuming I do all
                        > my own work .. what do you estimate magnets would cost for the project
                        > assuming a 3kw alternator? What kind of other major costs can I expect?

                        It depends on the sort of efficiency you want from your alternator I
                        guess. At some point you reach diminishing returns....

                        > You indicate that you use 4 strands of #15 ga. copper wire. Is there a
                        > reason you use multiple strands of smaller wire vs. one strand of
                        > larger wire to wind the coils?

                        Yes... thick wire has issues with eddy currents and - it simply
                        becomes hard to handle and wind tightly. I prefer to (when winding
                        coils by hand) not use wire much thicker than 14 gage.

                        > Some pictures show round magnets while others show rectangular ones.
                        > Any particular reason?
                        Just different designs - I use different sized magnets depending on
                        rotor diameter - magnet availability... mood... ;-)

                        Is there a general rule for magnet thickness?
                        > Thicker = more amps or volts?

                        A nice rule of thumb is keep the magnets about as thick as the stator.
                        If my stator is 1/2" thick then magnets of the same thickness are
                        nice. You can go thicker and get more power at the same rpm but you
                        quickly run back into that point of diminishing returns. There are
                        also rules in my mind about magnet width and height.

                        > What would be the result of more magnets & coils such as 15 vs. 12?
                        > Advantages and disadvantages?

                        It depends. I went with a simple 3 phase formula. YOU - at 12 volts
                        have more problems because you really need to figure out how do deal
                        with gobs of current. Your best bet at 12 Volts (and - if you're
                        serious about having a really good power system I would rethink the
                        12V bit) is to probably wind each coil to be its own little 12V
                        alternator and rectify each coil seperately. (Im doing this same
                        thing now for a neighbor but Im not that fond of the idea and its
                        inconvenient). There are lots of advantages to higher voltage. But
                        yes - if you rectify each coil by itself you can do lots of things.

                        > Does the angle iron mount you show on the Listeroid to hold the stator
                        > seem to be strong enough to not vibrate or is a bottom stabilizer
                        needed?

                        That had me (still does a bit) quite worried actually... I made it
                        that way because it seemed easy and I thought it might work but I
                        still think its a bit on the weak side of things. So far - so good -
                        it has lots of hours on it now but Im not convinced it will hold up
                        over the long haul.

> [...]
                        > > >
                        > > > I am new to the group so hope this is the correct place to ask this
                        > > > question.
                        > > >
                        > > > First... a little history about myself. I am retired. We live
                        "off the
                        > > > grid" in western Montana. Currently using solar panels, L16 battery
                        > > > bank and 6/1 Listeroid diesel engine running on home brew biodiesel
                        > > > producing both AC power for the shop and DC to top off the battery
                        > > > bank for home use. I have a small machine shop and enjoy building
                        > > stuff.
                        > > >
                        > > > I have an interest in Axial Flux Alternator powered by my 650 rpm
                        > > > Listeroid diesel. with the following questions:
                        > > >
                        > > > 1) is this a good match?
                        > > > 2) anyone else built this setup?
                        > > > 3) how many amps could I expect to produce with a home made AFA
                        > > > without heating problems
                        > > > 4) is there a thread that deals with this subject or am I in the

                      • David G. LeVine
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2007
                          At 10:38 PM 12/3/2007, you wrote:
                          >Has anyone used a flywheel from a car engine for a rotor plate? Would
                          >take some machine work but might be worth while.

                          Pigott (SP?) style alternators have been built on brake rotors,
                          sounds like the same idea.

                          >These should be cheap and available plus would add "flywheel" effect
                          >to the Listeroid (as if you need more:).

                          Actually, frequency shifts from power stroke to compression stroke
                          have been noticed causing lights to flicker.

                          David G. LeVine
                          Nashua, NH 03060
                        • Michael Vanecek
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                            How is your 3kw design different from DanF's 2kw design? I'm planning on
                            picking up a Listeroid for some WVO Axial-flux action.

                            Be well,
                            Mike

                            --
                            Zone 8, Texas
                            http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...

                            Steve Spence wrote:
                            > This is indeed the place. We also have a listeroid, and are building a 3kw
                            > axial flux alternator for it. It's a perfect match.
                            >
                            > Steve Spence
                            > http://www.green-trust.org
                          • Steve Spence
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                              Larger diameter, more magnets, more coils.

                              --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Vanecek <mike@...> wrote:

                              > How is your 3kw design different from DanF's 2kw design? I'm
                              planning on
                              > picking up a Listeroid for some WVO Axial-flux action.
                              >
                              > Be well,
                              > Mike
                              >
                              > --
                              > Zone 8, Texas
                              > http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...
                              > http://www.mjv.com/ Home...
                              >

                              > Steve Spence wrote:
                              > > This is indeed the place. We also have a listeroid, and are
                              building a 3kw
                              > > axial flux alternator for it. It's a perfect match.
                              > >
                              > > Steve Spence
                              > > http://www.green-trust.org

                            • Michael Vanecek
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 14, 2008
                                Is it possible to gang up a couple of axial-flux alternators on the
                                shaft, or is it better to just go with a bigger diameter alternator?
                                I've been eyeballing Otherpower's kits for this project tho I could get
                                off my lazy butt and wind the coils myself...

                                Be well,
                                Mike