Re: rotor magnet resin pouring

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hi All

      In addition to what Mike Johnson has written, if sand blasting is used and
      the resin is poured within 10 minutes, then very little oxidation takes
      place, and thus the resin will stick better and lesser losses for the rotor
      disk steel.

      Two weeks ago we took down our 1 year old windgen (10' diametre, fibreglass
      blades, two rotor disks with 24 magnets, 10 coils, max output seen is 1222
      watts). The magnets were surrounded by epoxy adhesive. I found that at many
      places the adhesive had come unstuck, but not totally off.

      Regards

      Michael

      At 01-07-06 04:23 AM, ibeweagle wrote:
      >--- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Spence" <sspence@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Why sandblasting? Why talc? Please explain the reasoning.
      > >

      > > Steve Spence
      > >
      > > Director, Green Trust
      > >
      > > http://www.green-trust.org
      > >
      > > _____

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
        Hi All

        In addition to what Mike Johnson has written, if sand blasting is used and
        the resin is poured within 10 minutes, then very little oxidation takes
        place, and thus the resin will stick better and lesser losses for the rotor
        disk steel.

        Two weeks ago we took down our 1 year old windgen (10' diametre, fibreglass
        blades, two rotor disks with 24 magnets, 10 coils, max output seen is 1222
        watts). The magnets were surrounded by epoxy adhesive. I found that at many
        places the adhesive had come unstuck, but not totally off.

        Regards

        Michael

        At 01-07-06 04:23 AM, ibeweagle wrote:
        >--- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Spence" <sspence@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Why sandblasting? Why talc? Please explain the reasoning.
        > >

        > > Steve Spence
        > >
        > > Director, Green Trust
        > >
        > > http://www.green-trust.org
        > >
        > > _____

      • sspence
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
          the steel backing plate handles all the heat rejection necessary, and the magnets stick to the steel very well. The superglue doesn't seem necessary, neither does the talc. we have added a machined lip to keep centrifugal force from flinging the magnets off the plate, but the way they stick to the steel, it doesn't seem possible.

          Steve Spence
          Director, Green Trust
          http://www.green-trust.org

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
            We sanded our rotor plates right before casting. We don't have sandblasting equipement available. For us it's about making do with what we have, for a solution that's good enough. Doesn't mean that there are not other, even better solutions.

            Steve Spence
            Director, Green Trust
            http://www.green-trust.org

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
              Absolutely agree with you Steve. Same here. Thats exactly how we work and
              live too. And in an Indian remote village living and working with tribals,
              I probably don't have half of your equipment too, so I probably make do
              with what I have at a different level.

              Regards

              Michael

            • Tim
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2006
                That's the spirit Michael,
                Do the best you can with what you've got is what I say!

                Tim

                --
                All the Best
                Tim from Tang

                It is never too late to have a happy childhood.
              • philb7369
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2006
                  I use a 4.5" hand grinder with a course metal cutting wheel to rough
                  up the disks before casting them. It also seems to make the magnets
                  stay in one place.