Re: [axialflux] disc drive magnets

  • grubbyjeans
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2007
      Thanks for the information. I've just learned that I may have access to a large number of used drives and wondered if there is any interest in the magnets within this group.

      Michael Stone wrote:

      Grubbyjeans,
      This is what I do - click on the link, it will give you a quick look at one method of using hard drive magnets.
      Regards
      Mick S
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        Generally, hard disc drive magnets are too small to be of much use
        except in tiny science-fair type wind turbines. Old, giant computer
        tape drives (the kind that took big platters 6 inches deep and 18
        inches across) had some beefy, concave magnets that were powerful
        enough for small wind turbines, but they are almost impossible to find
        now.
        DANF
        Technical Director,
        http://www.otherpower.com