New V.A.W.T. Design, Need partner with electronics experience; near Redwood City

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 25, 2007
      Hello All, I am a new member to this group. I have read about the
      axial flux Alternator and would like to add it to the new VAWT I
      have designed.

      I am in redwood city California.

      I have built a small scale model of the turbine, it turns with power
      in low wind and can be built in a way that allows additional
      capacity to be added later if needed.

      It is self starting and picks up gusty wind from any direction.

      The drawbacks are that it has a slow rotational speed, is ugly, and
      noisy. But hay ! ! that is why research and development need to be
      done, right?!?/

      I have been working on a small Ethanol plant in Oklahoma city
      Oklahoma, we want our plant to be wind powered but do not want to
      pay $12,000. for a little setup. I can build a turbine large enough
      to power a normal house (in Oklahoma) for about $500.

      I would like to build another prototype that actually produces a
      little electricity, I will pay all costs of materials if necessary.
      (i am not a rich man, please have mercy)

      If you live Within one hour of Redwood city California, Please E-
      mail me at Harold@...

      Thanx for your time
      Harold
      VW Bio Fuels
    • Steve Spence
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 25, 2007
        The axial flux we built needs 600 + rpm, but you can design it for slower
        speeds.

        Steve Spence
        Director, Green-Trust
        http://www.green-trust.org
        http://www.green-trust.org/bookshop/

        > Hello All, I am a new member to this group. I have read about the
        > axial flux Alternator and would like to add it to the new VAWT I
        > have designed.
        >
        > I am in redwood city California.
        >
        > I have built a small scale model of the turbine, it turns with power
        > in low wind and can be built in a way that allows additional
        > capacity to be added later if needed.
        >
        > It is self starting and picks up gusty wind from any direction.
        >
        > The drawbacks are that it has a slow rotational speed, is ugly, and
        > noisy. But hay ! ! that is why research and development need to be
        > done, right?!?/
        >
        > I have been working on a small Ethanol plant in Oklahoma city
        > Oklahoma, we want our plant to be wind powered but do not want to
        > pay $12,000. for a little setup. I can build a turbine large enough
        > to power a normal house (in Oklahoma) for about $500.
        >
        > I would like to build another prototype that actually produces a
        > little electricity, I will pay all costs of materials if necessary.
        > (i am not a rich man, please have mercy)
        >
        > If you live Within one hour of Redwood city California, Please E-
        > mail me at Harold@...
        >
        > Thanx for your time
        > Harold
        > VW Bio Fuels
        >

        > Group Email Addresses
        > Related Link:
        > http://www.green-trust.org/2006/06/axial-flux-permanent-magnet-alternator.html
        > Post message: axialflux@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: axialflux-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://www.eset.com

      • Jim Carlson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2007
          They can get inexpensive. I have scrounged just about everything for
          my windmill, and I still have around $500 in it, and I still don't
          have it in the air. I have a few more things to do, but I think I will
          be able to fly it by next weekend.

          Have fun with it
          Jim C.

          PS mine only has to do about 300 RPMs to get 14VDC

          --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <harold@...> wrote:

          > Hello All, I am a new member to this group. I have read about the
          > axial flux Alternator and would like to add it to the new VAWT I
          > have designed.
          >
          > I am in redwood city California.
          >
          > I have built a small scale model of the turbine, it turns with power
          > in low wind and can be built in a way that allows additional
          > capacity to be added later if needed.
          >
          > It is self starting and picks up gusty wind from any direction.
          >
          > The drawbacks are that it has a slow rotational speed, is ugly, and
          > noisy. But hay ! ! that is why research and development need to be
          > done, right?!?/
          >
          > I have been working on a small Ethanol plant in Oklahoma city
          > Oklahoma, we want our plant to be wind powered but do not want to
          > pay $12,000. for a little setup. I can build a turbine large enough
          > to power a normal house (in Oklahoma) for about $500.
          >
          > I would like to build another prototype that actually produces a
          > little electricity, I will pay all costs of materials if necessary.
          > (i am not a rich man, please have mercy)
          >
          > If you live Within one hour of Redwood city California, Please E-
          > mail me at Harold@...
          >
          > Thanx for your time
          > Harold
          > VW Bio Fuels

        • skurka
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
            How would one go about design an axial flux alternator for lower speeds?

            Wind speeds in my area, though consistent are not fast.

            Thanks,
            SK

            --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Spence" <sspence@...> wrote:

            > The axial flux we built needs 600 + rpm, but you can design it for
            slower
            > speeds.
            >
            > Steve Spence
            > Director, Green-Trust
            > http://www.green-trust.org
            > http://www.green-trust.org/bookshop/

          • Steve Spence
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2007
              the higher the number of coil turns, the higher the voltage. if turned
              slower, a 48 volt unit will put out much less (12 to 24).

              experimentation is the key.

              > How would one go about design an axial flux alternator for lower speeds?
              >
              > Wind speeds in my area, though consistent are not fast.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > SK
              >
              > --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Spence" <sspence@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> The axial flux we built needs 600 + rpm, but you can design it for
              > slower
              >> speeds.
              >>
              >> Steve Spence
              >> Director, Green-Trust
              >> http://www.green-trust.org
              >> http://www.green-trust.org/bookshop/

            • Harold
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 13, 2007
                Hello SK,

                The V.A.W.T. I have designed will turn with power in low wind
                areas, however; the RPM on this vawt and most vawts is relatively
                slow. The way we get around that is to "gear it up". We would add
                gears that take advantage of the high torque and turn it into HIGHER
                RPM. This way you could use the original axial flux design combined
                with my new design and add torque later if needed.

                Let me recap my VAWT design a little. With my design, one can
                build it in a way that extra wind catching ability can be added
                later to the outside perimeter. In fact, in low wind areas you could
                have a very low rpm vawt that has a great deal of torque.

                Please send me a personal e-mail to harold@vwbiofuels and we will
                talk about the new vawt design.

                Thanx

                Harold
                vwbiofuels.com

                --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "skurka" <skurka@...> wrote:

                > How would one go about design an axial flux alternator for lower
                speeds?

                > Wind speeds in my area, though consistent are not fast.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > SK
                >
                > --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Spence" <sspence@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The axial flux we built needs 600 + rpm, but you can design it
                for
                > slower
                > > speeds.
                > >
                > > Steve Spence
                > > Director, Green-Trust
                > > http://www.green-trust.org
                > > http://www.green-trust.org/bookshop/

              • Harold
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 21, 2008
                  I have a new Design that I would like to test, unfortunately I do
                  not
                  have one Iota of knowledge about the generator side of the wind
                  turbine design process. It would cost me a fortune in time and
                  equipment to setup the needed equipment to test this thing. Not to
                  mention the time it would take to learn about all that electric
                  stuff.

                  Please let me know if you have done experimentation and or testing
                  with various wind turbines somewhere near the bay area. I am in
                  redwood city, but would be willing to travel up to two hours to have
                  day of testing.

                  I would pay for any equipment and or materials needed to complete
                  the
                  testing, I have already built the prototype, but need to hook it up
                  something.

                  If anyone knows of someone, please let me know

                  Thank you
                  Harold
                  www. westcoastdomes . com
                • jerry freedomev
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 22, 2008
                    Hi Harold and All,

                    I can't think of any type VAWT that is worth building when for much less materials, work you get more power from a HAWT. A good VAWT gets 10% eff while a good 3 blade Hawt gets over 50% eff or a much, much smaller one for the same output.
                    Sailboats and unmanned remote sensing stations are about the only VAW/T's I can think of that are worthwhile.
                    Why is VAWT's can't get high tip speeds needed to produce power from the wind that a HAWT can. Don't try to beat physics.
                    So save a lot of effort, time, cash for something that's more likely to work well.

                    Jerry Dycus
                    > I have a new Design that I would like to test, unfortunately
                    > I do
                    > not
                    > have one Iota of knowledge about the generator side of the
                    > wind
                    > turbine design process. It would cost me a fortune in time
                    > and
                    > equipment to setup the needed equipment to test this thing.
                    > Not to
                    > mention the time it would take to learn about all that
                    > electric
                    > stuff.
                    >
                    > Please let me know if you have done experimentation and or
                    > testing
                    > with various wind turbines somewhere near the bay area. I
                    > am in
                    > redwood city, but would be willing to travel up to two
                    > hours to have
                    > day of testing.
                    >
                    > I would pay for any equipment and or materials needed to
                    > complete
                    > the
                    > testing, I have already built the prototype, but need to
                    > hook it up
                    > something.
                    >
                    > If anyone knows of someone, please let me know
                    >
                    > Thank you
                    > Harold
                    > www. westcoastdomes . com

                    > Links

                  • ken bolin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
                      Well the first reason that comes to mind for using a vawt smaller footprint/local codes, then theres ease in installation the mounting points closer to the device. Ease in servicing again your closer to it no dealing with a tower or high pole most of the time. They are much easier to hide from that nosy old man next door and you can put more of them up with them having a smaller footprint. As for cost its called waiting for a sale or barter or scrap yard. There is no reason why a vawt should cost any more then a hawt of the same watt range,if anything they should cost less (you do not have to add the cost of a tower to a vawt).
                      Ken

                      From: jerry freedomev <freedomev@...>
                      Subject: Re: [axialflux] New V.A.W.T. Design, Need partner with electronics experience; near Redwood City
                      To: axialflux@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 1:34 PM

                      Hi Harold and All,

                      I can't think of any type VAWT that is worth building when for much less materials, work you get more power from a HAWT. A good VAWT gets 10% eff while a good 3 blade Hawt gets over 50% eff or a much, much smaller one for the same output.
                      Sailboats and unmanned remote sensing stations are about the only VAW/T's I can think of that are worthwhile.
                      Why is VAWT's can't get high tip speeds needed to produce power from the wind that a HAWT can. Don't try to beat physics.
                      So save a lot of effort, time, cash for something that's more likely to work well.

                      Jerry Dycus
                      > I have a new Design that I would like to test, unfortunately
                      > I do
                      > not
                      > have one Iota of knowledge about the generator side of the
                      > wind
                      > turbine design process. It would cost me a fortune in time
                      > and
                      > equipment to setup the needed equipment to test this thing.
                      > Not to
                      > mention the time it would take to learn about all that
                      > electric
                      > stuff.
                      >
                      > Please let me know if you have done experimentation and or
                      > testing
                      > with various wind turbines somewhere near the bay area. I
                      > am in
                      > redwood city, but would be willing to travel up to two
                      > hours to have
                      > day of testing.
                      >
                      > I would pay for any equipment and or materials needed to
                      > complete
                      > the
                      > testing, I have already built the prototype, but need to
                      > hook it up
                      > something.
                      >
                      > If anyone knows of someone, please let me know
                      >
                      > Thank you
                      > Harold
                      > www. westcoastdomes . com

                      > Links

                    • Riley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
                        yah, it's just too easy to make big trunion bearings by nesting junked
                        wheels, savonius type blades from oil drum pieces and hang the whole
                        thing around a scrapped telephone pole

                        who cares if efficiency is 1/10th when it catches 1,000 times more air
                        for 1/10th the price and installation only needs one guy with pole
                        climbing spikes...

                        --
                        Riley

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008