Hello, and question

  • mgrogg51
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hello all,

      I joined the group a few days ago, and have spent some time reading
      the entire message base, as well as looking at the files and links
      sections and reading much of that as well.

      My first time around with wind power etc., most discussions were on
      either rebuilding old Windchargers and Jacobs mills, or how to
      rewire a car alternator for wind use. I was away from things for
      several years, and now am delighted to see all the interest in
      building axial flux alternators.

      One question to start with. I had an idea to build up a small test
      unit using a bicycle rim and a sectional fixed stator. I can see
      application either in a stationary bicycle unit for running a tv, or
      as part of a cheap ducted fan unit with either a chalk wheel fan, or
      more conventional 3 or 5 bladed prop arrangement.

      I am putting a quick diagram in the files area. (Axial Flux Bike
      Rim.pdf)

      Take a look at it and see if it holds water. My concern is would
      there be problems with the bike rim taking the place of dual
      independent rotors? Since the rotors are connected by the shaft I
      don't think so, but I would value other more experienced builders
      input before I spend time and money to find out the hard way.

      I can't see why the stator would have to be all in one piece, as
      long as the coils are in the right place in relation to the passage
      of the magnets, since all the wiring connections are made external
      to the body of the stator.

      Thanks,

      Michael Grogg
      In sunny, if not windy Clearwater, Florida