Re: [axialflux] Re: Generatorcycle...?

  • Stone Tool
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 30 6:19 PM
      The most efficient is cog belt such as HTD or Polychain.

      H.W.

      David G. LeVine wrote:
      > At 10:46 AM 4/28/2007, you wrote:
      >> Yes, the V-Belt around the back wheel would be a quick and dirty
      >> solution, and I'm considering knocking up something similar in the
      >> short term. I'm actually looking at a device similar to Mr Butcher's
      >> the big flywheel would allow a greater drive ratio for the alternator.
      >
      > Just as a point to ponder, a Serpentine belt (Poly-V or Multirib are
      > other names) from a car is less lossy and will fit the wheel better
      > without changing the pulley on a modern alternator.
      >

      > David G. LeVine
      > Nashua, NH 03060
      >

      > Group Email Addresses
      > Related Link: http://www.green-trust.org/2006/06/axial-flux-permanent-magnet-alternator.html
      > Post message: axialflux@yahoogroups.com
      > Subscribe: axialflux-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Dragon
      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2007
        Thanks for that, I agree, but a lot depends on what alternator I end
        up with. I belive most of the alternators currently in use are of
        this "Multi-V" type, but I'll have to take whatever is available. I
        do have a belt like this attached to a washing machine motor I
        salvaged for another project, (flying Santa cable car type rig).

        Hope to get an alternator at the weekend, and I'll let you all know
        how it turns out.

        I'm really interested in the axial flux system though. Any further
        thoughts on the Halberch thing anyone?

        Charles

        --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine@...> wrote:

        > At 10:46 AM 4/28/2007, you wrote:
        > >Yes, the V-Belt around the back wheel would be a quick and dirty
        > >solution, and I'm considering knocking up something similar in the
        > >short term. I'm actually looking at a device similar to Mr Butcher's
        > >the big flywheel would allow a greater drive ratio for the alternator.
        >
        > Just as a point to ponder, a Serpentine belt (Poly-V or Multirib are
        > other names) from a car is less lossy and will fit the wheel better
        > without changing the pulley on a modern alternator.
        >

        > David G. LeVine
        > Nashua, NH 03060

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 24 , May 1, 2007
          --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Vanecek <mike@...> wrote:

          > I'm interested in putting together a combination solar/wind
          system. I'm
          > a DIY person for the most part and have been studying the axial-
          flux
          > alternator for a while. I've read about some problems involved in
          > connecting that to a grid-connected setup thru an inter-tie. Has
          any
          > progress been made towards that or are things still pretty much
          battery
          > oriented?

          Mike,
          One of the interesting things about generating electricity is the
          fact that a PM alternator will continue to increase in voltage until
          current flows. That means it doesn't really matter where you put the
          batteries as long as the charge controller is right there with them.
          Personally, I would run the wild AC the 100' then rectify next to
          the charge controller. The wire will act as a current limiting
          resistor.
          Good luck!
          Dan in Utah
        • David G. LeVine
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2007
            At 09:19 PM 4/30/2007, you wrote:
            >The most efficient is cog belt such as HTD or Polychain.

            > > Just as a point to ponder, a Serpentine belt (Poly-V or Multirib are
            > > other names) from a car is less lossy and will fit the wheel better
            > > without changing the pulley on a modern alternator.

            The issue with cogged belts is that they require different pulleys
            than come on modern alternators.

            David G. LeVine
            Nashua, NH 03060
          • Dan Fink
            Message 5 of 24 , May 8, 2007
              My understanding from the information I received from SMA is that using
              a home-built 3-phase wind turbine with their WindyBoy grid tie inverter
              should be no problem. You'd want to wind your stator for higher voltage
              output, the specs are on their website. Be careful, my understanding is
              also that the windyboy can be damaged if the input voltage gets too
              high. DANF
              > > I'm interested in putting together a combination solar/wind
              > system. I'm
              > > a DIY person for the most part and have been studying the axial-
              > flux
              > > alternator for a while. I've read about some problems involved in
              > > connecting that to a grid-connected setup thru an inter-tie. Has
              > any
              > > progress been made towards that or are things still pretty much
              > battery
              > > oriented?
            • dan daya
              Message 6 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                Guys

                Two weeks ago I was given a set of turbine blades  3ft dia (similar to the ones on ed lenz website windstuffnow )and am wishing to build a little turbine about 5 -10 watts. I have a little lathe and milling machine in my shed which I power from a 185 watt inverter and a 7ah 12v sealed acid battery. From this battery I can get more than 1 hour use, only problem is I have a 5w solar panel which charges at 200 ma and takes many days if not weeks due to the weather.I will be purchasing a 65ah cell later this month

                I wish to build a 3 phase turbine of magnet disc dia 4", i have 10 neo magnets of 25x10x3 mm and spool of 24 swg coil wire, 4" steel disc.
                Is there a coil number to magnet number ratio I can use?    I wish to have 9 coils instead of 6.    For 9 coils, 3 per phase would i need more magnets.

                Most importantly, what shape would I have to make the coils and how many turns per coil considering magnets are 25x 10 mm rectangular?

                I only pray that this is an overwhelming sucess for me as this is my first project and i wish to build a larger one someday

                Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

                Thanks kindly

                dan