birds

  • Neil Dennis
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
      Near me, at one of the 1.3MW GE's some greenies leased an acre under the
      turbine, kept it mowed neatly for the summer and checked for dead birds,
      from what I heard they never found any. So claimed either foxes were
      taking them or some people were cleaning up.

      They gave up after a while.

      wombat
    • Doug
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
        I've never even seen a dead bird in a windfarm.

        --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, Neil Dennis <wombatt@...> wrote:

        > Near me, at one of the 1.3MW GE's some greenies leased an acre under the
        > turbine, kept it mowed neatly for the summer and checked for dead birds,
        > from what I heard they never found any. So claimed either foxes were
        > taking them or some people were cleaning up.
        >
        > They gave up after a while.
        >
        > wombat

      • Richard McClellan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
          Hey, coyotes have to eat too.
        • Ian Newman
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
            On no!  Now you have started something Doug.

            A whole load of picky people will start to point out that as a wheat farm produces a crop of wheat, and a dairy farm produces a crop of a dairy product, you cannot use the term "wind farm" to describe a "farm" that produces a crop of electricity.

            (There are probably some people who will even object to the use of the term "green house" on the basis that the building is made of glass and not coloured green)

            As others have pointed out, it really doesn't matter - cars, cats, birds of prey and air guns kill more birds.  And if you start worrying about damage to wild life, you will start getting concerned about other environmental impacts, the opinions of your neighbours, etc. and then you may as well just give up altogether.

            All the best,
            Ian.

            I've never even seen a dead bird in a windfarm.

            --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, Neil Dennis <wombatt@...> wrote:

            > Near me, at one of the 1.3MW GE's some greenies leased an acre under the
            > turbine, kept it mowed neatly for the summer and checked for dead birds,
            > from what I heard they never found any. So claimed either foxes were
            > taking them or some people were cleaning up.
            >
            > They gave up after a while.
            >
            > wombat

          • Nick Andrews