Re: [axialflux] Birds

  • Nick Andrews
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 5, 2012
      Paint a corkscrew pattern on the hub like the Germans did in the war...

      On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Jon Wilson <Fast21@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      Well, my father was an engineer on an experimental windfarm in Scotland (Orkney to be precise) during the late 80's early 1990's. They had 3 large turbines up there, 1 x 1.6MW, 1 x 600Kw and 1 x 260Kw. The site was right next door to a bird sanctuary and in 8 years working there with the turbines running for 1000's of hours they had less than 1 bird strike per year. Very rare occurrence it seems. The birds seemed perfectly capable of avoiding the running turbines. In terms of colour they were painted white with bright red tips.

      Regards

      Jon Wilson

      On 4 December 2012 15:04, discothistle <discothistle@...> wrote:

      Hello there,
      In my research into windmills, i can't ignore the reports of bird kills. My question to this large group of windmill enthusiasts is: Does your windmill kill birds? Please be honest. I know that this is not a palatable topic but I have nightmares of raising my windmill into this windy zone I have, only to create a graveyard of dead birds. I live in an area with many bald eagles, hawks and a nesting pair of ravens. I also own chickens which attracts the interest of birds of prey. Please help me with this moral dilemma!

      --
      Nick A

      "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

      "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

      "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

      "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
    • Ronald Nelson
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 8, 2012
        Hi Jon,  I have had a PMA wind generator up for 6 years and never found a dead anything under it. Very sad someone has to be unhappy with everything the world tries to do. Go ahead and put up as many as you like. I am all for wind, solar as I am off grid for 9 years now. In far southwest  TX. Sure is nice to drive up I 20 and see the wind farms at Sweet water TX.