Re: [axialflux] More questions that knowledge..

  • KK4HFJ
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 6, 2012
      http://www.green-trust.org/windpowercalc/

      will help you size a wind turbine for your application.

      On 8/3/2012 4:50 PM, Jesse wrote:

      Howdy Y'all!

      I've been a member on here for while now and would like to build a wind turbine/solar panel setup for my house. I live in the DFW area and we usually have either sun or wind, so I figure I'd be covered if I used both.

      I get the basic idea of how to build the turbine part of this. My biggest question is what do I do with it from here and how do I calculate how large this setup needs to be?

      Thank you,

      Jesse

      --
      Steve, KK4HFJ

      http://www.green-trust.org

      http://www.essnmag.com

      http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com
    • Ed Koetsier
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
        Or.. A good quick and dirty dump load, for testing, for example, is plain old 100w 240v (or 110..) incandescent light bulbs. Everyone has then lying around since they upgraded to CFL's or LED's. They will work on whatever your DC system voltage is. I use them outside my battery shack for when my solar hot water system is 60c.
      • Nick Andrews
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
          Using the dump load to preheat your water heater works great!

          On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM, KK4HFJ <solar@...> wrote:

          Outback makes inverters that can be grid tied with battery banks. A simple dump controller takes care of charge control, regardless of source of power. Use a air or water heating element as the load.

          On 8/4/2012 10:33 PM, Doug wrote:

          I can address the wind part: If you live in a good wind resource, you can power a home with a 10 kW turbine. Smaller than that and you can make a dent in your electric bill, in proportion to how big the turbine is. For a grid tie system you need a grid tie inverter. For a battery system you need a charge controller and a non-grid-tied inverter. And then to include solar you may combine inverters or noy I think, some electronic systems for wind turbines have inputs for some solar too.

          --
          Steve, KK4HFJ

          http://www.green-trust.org

          http://www.essnmag.com

          http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com

          --
          Nick A

          "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

          "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

          "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

          "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato