More questions that knowledge..

  • Jesse
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2012
      Howdy Y'all!

      I've been a member on here for while now and would like to build a wind turbine/solar panel setup for my house. I live in the DFW area and we usually have either sun or wind, so I figure I'd be covered if I used both.

      I get the basic idea of how to build the turbine part of this. My biggest question is what do I do with it from here and how do I calculate how large this setup needs to be?

      Thank you,

      Jesse
    • KK4HFJ
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
        how many daily amp hours do you need? what is the average wind speed for your area, and how many hours per day do you get at that speed?

        --
        Steve, KK4HFJ

        http://www.green-trust.org

        http://www.essnmag.com

        http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com
      • jtownsend2004@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
          We average 1557kwh a month, so if my calculations are correct, 4.325 daily amp hours using 12V batteries. Monthly wind average speed is 11.6 mph. There are days we get no wind at all and other days we get substained winds of 30 mph here. That's the reason I wanted to use the solar panels also.

          ~jesse

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2012
            I can address the wind part: If you live in a good wind resource, you can power a home with a 10 kW turbine. Smaller than that and you can make a dent in your electric bill, in proportion to how big the turbine is. For a grid tie system you need a grid tie inverter. For a battery system you need a charge controller and a non-grid-tied inverter. And then to include solar you may combine inverters or noy I think, some electronic systems for wind turbines have inputs for some solar too.

            --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse" <jtownsend2004@...> wrote:

            > Howdy Y'all!
            >
            > I've been a member on here for while now and would like to build a wind turbine/solar panel setup for my house. I live in the DFW area and we usually have either sun or wind, so I figure I'd be covered if I used both.
            >
            > I get the basic idea of how to build the turbine part of this. My biggest question is what do I do with it from here and how do I calculate how large this setup needs to be?

            > Thank you,
            >
            > Jesse

          • KK4HFJ
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
              1557 kWh monthly is 52 kWh daily

              52 kWh / 12v = 4333 ah daily

              With 11mph avg winds, I might not bother with wind at all. You would need a wind turbine with 40' blades or more and 6 hours per day of solid 11 mph winds.

              How much sun do you get. Is everyday pretty clear, or do you get a lot of cloudy weather.

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                Jesse, that is a whopping lot of electricity! The first thing needed is to eliminate a lot of useage. It would be very hard to be able to produce that much dependably.
                John

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                  We average about 232 sunny or partly sunny days here.

                  ~jesse

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                    My suggestion is that you need to reduce consumption before designing a wind / solar set up, as your consumption is very high, and your natural resources are low. Otherwise your collection and storage system is going to be astronomically expensive.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                      I would suggest you take a look at absorbing solar energy with water heating panels and store the heated water in an insulated tank.

                      Then you can generate electricity from the heat in the water by any of several different means. The amount of energy you need would require a very heat absorbing array and a very large tank, but would eliminate a need for batteries.

                      The simplest way to extract electricity from the water would be with Peltier cells, but they have a low efficiency, only around 2-3%. A slighter efficiency (around 4-5% would be available with a hot air engine and a generator. But that would be so complicated that in the end it might be less expensive to just go with the larger sized absorbers and tank for the Peltier cells.

                      Have you looked at LED lighting to reduce your power requirements?

                      Are you using an electric furnace? If so, there is a relatively simple way to eliminate a need for that power hungry device.
                    • KK4HFJ

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                          Hi. I'm relatively new to this group and have not posted before.
                          I've found it very interesting.
                          In reply to the last post re it being an alternator group, ... can I comment, ... I think the prime mover would be of equal importance for the alternator as is the design of alternator itself. Keep up the good work folks. My chance to try my hand at the provision of non grid power for a home and shed in a country area etc. should not be to far away, I hope!!
                          So I am learning all I can. Thanks. Ken.

                          --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, KK4HFJ <solar@...> wrote:

                          > Remember folks, this is an diy alternator group.
                          >
                          > On 8/5/2012 3:27 PM, Jim Morris wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I would suggest you take a look at absorbing solar energy with water
                          > > heating panels and store the heated water in an insulated tank.
                          > >
                          > > Then you can generate electricity from the heat in the water by any of
                          > > several different means. The amount of energy you need would require a
                          > > very heat absorbing array and a very large tank, but would eliminate a
                          > > need for batteries.
                          > >
                          > > The simplest way to extract electricity from the water would be with
                          > > Peltier cells, but they have a low efficiency, only around 2-3%. A
                          > > slighter efficiency (around 4-5% would be available with a hot air
                          > > engine and a generator. But that would be so complicated that in the
                          > > end it might be less expensive to just go with the larger sized
                          > > absorbers and tank for the Peltier cells.
                          > >
                          > > Have you looked at LED lighting to reduce your power requirements?
                          > >
                          > > Are you using an electric furnace? If so, there is a relatively simple
                          > > way to eliminate a need for that power hungry device.
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Steve, KK4HFJ
                          >
                          > http://www.green-trust.org
                          >
                          > http://www.essnmag.com
                          >
                          > http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com

                        • James Morris
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                            I recognize that, but this is an appropriate response to the specific question posed. I referred to a generator as a possibility, and meant that as an axial flux, but this particular conversation had already demonstrated that a wind powered axial flux generator would not be appropriate in this particular situation.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 6, 2012
                              Outback makes inverters that can be grid tied with battery banks. A simple dump controller takes care of charge control, regardless of source of power. Use a air or water heating element as the load.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                                  Or.. A good quick and dirty dump load, for testing, for example, is plain old 100w 240v (or 110..) incandescent light bulbs. Everyone has then lying around since they upgraded to CFL's or LED's. They will work on whatever your DC system voltage is. I use them outside my battery shack for when my solar hot water system is 60c.
                                • Nick Andrews
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                                    Using the dump load to preheat your water heater works great!

                                    --
                                    Steve, KK4HFJ

                                    http://www.green-trust.org

                                    http://www.essnmag.com

                                    http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com

                                    --
                                    Nick A

                                    "You know what I wish?  I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

                                    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

                                    "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them." Bill Vaughan

                                    "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato