Re: Alternator

  • thorthesailor
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2012
      Could a bank of ultracapacitors stand in for batteries to provide some smoothing, allowing an all-off-the-shelf-components system?

      (Without the downsides of batteries)

      Michael

      --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, jeff marcato <jbm775@...> wrote:

      > To; axialflux alt. member
      >
      > From;  Jeff   Baldridge
      >
      >            I am glad I found somebody to communicate with. I am building an alternator from Hugh Piggots book. Mine has 9 coils and 12 magnets on each rotor. It is for a small hydroelectric turbine, so it will always turn at about the same RPM.
      >             I want to put the electric output from the Alternator into the grid (grid-tie system) without using any batteries.I am wired into the rectifier now. that's is far as I have gotten now. I need a micro inverter with an input range of 10 to 30 volts. I need someone to show me how to wire this directly into my house electric  I need a diagram  and explanation and also where I can buy the micro inverter.  I could pay you a small fee for the information.

    • Steve Spence
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2012
        The capacitors would cost more than the batteries.

        --
        Steve Spence KK4HFJ
        http://www.green-trust.org

        Quoting thorthesailor <sailorthor@...>:

        > Could a bank of ultracapacitors stand in for batteries to provide
        > some smoothing, allowing an all-off-the-shelf-components system?
        >
        > (Without the downsides of batteries)
        >
        > Michael
        >

        > --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, jeff marcato <jbm775@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> To; axialflux alt. member
        >>
        >> From;  Jeff   Baldridge
        >>
        >>            I am
        >> glad I found somebody to communicate with. I am building an
        >> alternator from Hugh Piggots book. Mine has 9 coils and 12 magnets
        >> on each rotor. It is for a small hydroelectric turbine, so it will
        >> always turn at about the same RPM.
        >>
        >> I want to put the electric output from the Alternator into the grid
        >> (grid-tie system) without using any batteries.I am wired into the
        >> rectifier now. that's is far as I have gotten now. I need a micro
        >> inverter with an input range of 10 to 30 volts. I need someone to
        >> show me how to wire this directly into my house electric
        >> I need a diagram  and explanation and also where I can buy the
        >> micro inverter.  I could pay you a small fee for the
        >> information.

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2012
          The ultracapacitors, if you caculate their life cycles, only last a couple years.
          http://www.cde.com/catalog/inverter/

          If you over spec the voltage, (use a 200V cap on a 100V peak ssytem) you may improve the lifetime.

          You also may need to "fuse" the cap bank, and the additional impedence of the fuse, may decouple the bank.

          Try the applets at the above link