Alternator

  • jeff marcato
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2012
      To; axialflux alt. member

      From;  Jeff   Baldridge

                 I am glad I found somebody to communicate with. I am building an alternator from Hugh Piggots book. Mine has 9 coils and 12 magnets on each rotor. It is for a small hydroelectric turbine, so it will always turn at about the same RPM.
                  I want to put the electric output from the Alternator into the grid (grid-tie system) without using any batteries.I am wired into the rectifier now. that's is far as I have gotten now. I need a micro inverter with an input range of 10 to 30 volts. I need someone to show me how to wire this directly into my house electric  I need a diagram  and explanation and also where I can buy the micro inverter.  I could pay you a small fee for the information.
    • drsimm@juno.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012
        Jeff,
        This is NOT A TRIVIAL Task!
        If the phase and voltage level are not matched EXACTLY within less than 1 degree of the 60 cycles the "grid" has enough energy to rip your alternator physically off its concrete mounting blocks!  I have seen videos of 50 KW Generators weighing TONS haveing this done to them when not matched to the grid.
        There is also a power factor to match as well. to get the energy "to the grid".
        You are MUCH BETTER getting a transfer switch inbetween the grid and your breaker box ,
        cut off the grid and use your alternator on less circuits as the "least expensive option" .

        Look at grid tie inverters for wind power - good grid tie ones are ~= $5000.00 for a 4 -7KW one.
        DOn

                   I am glad I found somebody to communicate with. I am building an alternator from Hugh Piggots book. Mine has 9 coils and 12 magnets on each rotor. It is for a small hydroelectric turbine, so it will always turn at about the same RPM.
                    I want to put the electric output from the Alternator into the grid (grid-tie system) without using any batteries.I am wired into the rectifier now. that's is far as I have gotten now. I need a micro inverter with an input range of 10 to 30 volts. I need someone to show me how to wire this directly into my house electric  I need a diagram  and explanation and also where I can buy the micro inverter.  I could pay you a small fee for the information.

        Groupon™ Official Site
        Groupon.com
      • Steve Spence
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012
          The micro inverter he's talking about takes care of the phase and
          voltage issues. The only concern I have is not having the battery
          "buffer". If the grid is down, you are out of juice.

          --
          Steve Spence
          http://www.green-trust.org

        • drsimm@juno.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012
            Micro inverter "he is talking about" ?
            Reference to same ? Is this a build yourself or a purchase product ?

            Quoting "drsimm@..." <drsimm@...>:

            > Jeff,This is NOT A TRIVIAL Task!
            > If the phase and voltage level are not matched EXACTLY within less
            > than 1 degree of the 60 cycles the "grid" has enough energy to rip
            > your alternator physically off its concrete mounting blocks! I have
            > seen videos of 50 KW Generators weighing TONS haveing this done to
            > them when not matched to the grid.
            > There is also a power factor to match as well. to get the energy "to
            > the grid".You are MUCH BETTER getting a transfer switch inbetween
            > the grid and your breaker box , cut off the grid and use your
            > alternator on less circuits as the "least expensive option" . Look
            > at grid tie inverters for wind power - good grid tie ones are ~=
            > $5000.00 for a 4 -7KW one.DOn

            53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
            consumerproducts.com
          • Steve Spence
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012
              Look up enphase.

              --
              Steve Spence
              http://www.green-trust.org

            • larry@cargopal.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 14, 2012

                I am building a 4KW Volts A/C  Grid-Tied Wind Turbine that uses a Micro Controller. What is your output Volts DC and amperage? I may be able to help.

                Larry in TEXAS

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 15, 2012
                  Thank-you for your response Steve.I will be carefull.

                  I am building a 4KW Volts A/C  Grid-Tied Wind Turbine that uses a Micro Controller. What is your output Volts DC and amperage? I may be able to help.
                  Larry in TEXAS

                  > Reference to same ? Is this a build yourself or a purchase product ?

                  Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:21:40 -0600

                  target=_blank ymailto="mailto:axialflux%40yahoogroups.com">axialflux@yahoogroups.com" <axialflux@yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 15, 2012
                    Larry;   I will check the dc output and get back to you .  Thanks

                    I am building a 4KW Volts A/C  Grid-Tied Wind Turbine that uses a Micro Controller. What is your output Volts DC and amperage? I may be able to help.
                    Larry in TEXAS

                    > Reference to same ? Is this a build yourself or a purchase product ?

                    Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:21:40 -0600

                    > The micro inverter he's talking about takes care of the phase and
                    > voltage issues. The only concern I have is not having the battery
                    > "buffer". If the grid is down, you are out of juice.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Steve Spence
                    > http://www.green-trust.org
                    > http://www.essnmag.com
                    >
                    > Quoting "drsimm@..." <drsimm@...>:
                    >
                    > > Jeff,This is NOT A TRIVIAL Task!
                    > > If the phase and voltage level are not matched EXACTLY within less
                    > > than 1 degree of the 60 cycles the "grid" has
                    enough energy to rip
                    > > your alternator physically off its concrete mounting blocks! I have
                    > > seen videos of 50 KW Generators weighing TONS haveing this done to
                    > > them when not matched to the grid.
                    > > There is also a power factor to match as well. to get the energy "to
                    > > the grid".You are MUCH BETTER getting a transfer switch inbetween
                    > > the grid and your breaker box , cut off the grid and use your
                    > > alternator on less circuits as the "least expensive option" . Look
                    > > at grid tie inverters for wind power - good grid tie ones are ~=
                    > > $5000.00 for a 4 -7KW one.DOn

                  • jerry freedomev
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 15, 2012

                                           Hi Jeff and All,

                                                              Or better Jeff is make the voltage/cycle/phase match and drive the  grid directly. Far less costly, more reliable, etc.  A soft start is easy to do, just use resistors starting then when sync'ed, short out the restistors amoong other methods.
                                                              If 3ph grid you just need to match the coils turn numbers to get the voltage.  If 1 phase then you'd need to wind a single phase set up.
                                                              The big advantage of hydro is direct alt to grid without batts or inverters.

                                                                                                        Jerry Dycus

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 15, 2012
                        The hugh piggott style alternator is not designed for direct grid
                        attachment. There is no way to synchronize the rpm. It's wild three
                        phase and requires rectification to dc, preferably for battery
                        storage, and use a grid tie inverter if you must connect to the grid.

                        --
                        Steve Spence
                        http://www.green-trust.org

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 15, 2012

                                                    Hi Steve and All,

                                                                While that is true with variable speed units but he was talking fixed rpm hydro which is completely different.   You'd need a 3ph grid to connect the standard 12 magnet/9 coil or change to even number of coils. mags and make a single phase stator. RPM depends of course on poles.  No different than other single/3ph alts on the grid.
                                                               How do you think other 1-3ph syncronous motors, alts run on the grid? There are many ways to match them up like I said, just google electric motor starting circuits. Most don't require anything except switching on like you do many times/day.   If you are playing with 50kw then there could be problems but 1-2kw just isn't a big deal.

                                                                                                  Jerry Dycus

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 1, 2012
                            Could a bank of ultracapacitors stand in for batteries to provide some smoothing, allowing an all-off-the-shelf-components system?

                            (Without the downsides of batteries)

                            Michael

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 1, 2012
                              The capacitors would cost more than the batteries.

                              --
                              Steve Spence KK4HFJ
                              http://www.green-trust.org

                              Quoting thorthesailor <sailorthor@...>:

                              > Could a bank of ultracapacitors stand in for batteries to provide
                              > some smoothing, allowing an all-off-the-shelf-components system?
                              >
                              > (Without the downsides of batteries)
                              >
                              > Michael
                              >

                              > --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, jeff marcato <jbm775@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> To; axialflux alt. member
                              >>
                              >> From;  Jeff   Baldridge
                              >>
                              >>            I am
                              >> glad I found somebody to communicate with. I am building an
                              >> alternator from Hugh Piggots book. Mine has 9 coils and 12 magnets
                              >> on each rotor. It is for a small hydroelectric turbine, so it will
                              >> always turn at about the same RPM.
                              >>
                              >> I want to put the electric output from the Alternator into the grid
                              >> (grid-tie system) without using any batteries.I am wired into the
                              >> rectifier now. that's is far as I have gotten now. I need a micro
                              >> inverter with an input range of 10 to 30 volts. I need someone to
                              >> show me how to wire this directly into my house electric
                              >> I need a diagram  and explanation and also where I can buy the
                              >> micro inverter.  I could pay you a small fee for the
                              >> information.

                            • Michael
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 2, 2012
                                The ultracapacitors, if you caculate their life cycles, only last a couple years.
                                http://www.cde.com/catalog/inverter/

                                If you over spec the voltage, (use a 200V cap on a 100V peak ssytem) you may improve the lifetime.

                                You also may need to "fuse" the cap bank, and the additional impedence of the fuse, may decouple the bank.

                                Try the applets at the above link