Questions asked before - Never answered

  • JohnnyO
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11 9:31 PM
      I have a unique to me application.

      I believe this is exactly what I am looking for.

      I've got a diesel engine that runs anywhere between 550rpms to 2400rpms. I would like some way to generate 2500watts to 4000watts of useable 110v power.

      While "working" I am typically in the 1800-2200rpm range for about an hour at a time and then I back down to 550-1000rpms for 10 mins or so then back up to 1800-2200rpms for another hour or so.

      The powersource is the main engine on my shrimp boat. With increasing fuel costs, i'd like to rob some of the power from my main engine while underway so I don't have to run an auxillary genset....

      Is this possible or am I pissing in the wind ? Are there any solutions out there that would work off of a variable input speed to get me what I want ?

      thanks in advance,

      JohnnyO
    • Steve Spence
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12 4:01 PM
        two 150 amp alternators (Marine) would do the job a lot easier than a
        axial flux. The axial flux is more appropriate for slow speed low energy
        density applications where a field coil could consume most of the output.

        --

        Steve Spence
        Renewable energy and self sufficiency
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12 4:07 PM
          hi there

          a normal marine spec alternator with a biger pulley on the engine to get it running in the region of 8000 rpm with a special reg made will get you hf three phase ac 110v if you want or can use that.

          if the load is incadeacant lighting you will be ok but florescent lights and electronic equipment wont work unless the electronic equipment uses a switch mode powersupply and even then they may not like hf ac

          or fitt a bigger alternator to the main engine and use a invertor powered from the starter battery. make sure the alternator is at least 10% higer current rated than the input current to the invertor so that the battery will still charge.

          you may need multiple alternators if the starter batery is 12v because each kw is 80 amp at 12v

          also if you look for uk canal boat chandlers on the web there are nowa few poeple doing special varaible rev input alternators to supply mains out from any any engine revs some body will do a 110v version.

          there are three alternatives and i will bet there are at least
          a few more to come.

          thanks derek!!!!!!!

          --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "JohnnyO" <paypal@...> wrote:

          > I have a unique to me application.
          >
          > I believe this is exactly what I am looking for.
          >
          > I've got a diesel engine that runs anywhere between 550rpms to 2400rpms. I would like some way to generate 2500watts to 4000watts of useable 110v power.
          >
          > While "working" I am typically in the 1800-2200rpm range for about an hour at a time and then I back down to 550-1000rpms for 10 mins or so then back up to 1800-2200rpms for another hour or so.
          >
          > The powersource is the main engine on my shrimp boat. With increasing fuel costs, i'd like to rob some of the power from my main engine while underway so I don't have to run an auxillary genset....
          >
          > Is this possible or am I pissing in the wind ? Are there any solutions out there that would work off of a variable input speed to get me what I want ?
          >
          > thanks in advance,
          >
          > JohnnyO

        • Steve Spence
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12 4:11 PM
            I've done that method. It's fraught with issues. A inverter connected to
            the battery is a better bet.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12 4:43 PM
              hi there

              steve made me think of the simple solution

              if you have an engine with a guvenor fitted to the pump set the revs to 1800 and use either a 3600rpm gen head with a two to one pulley from the main engine or a 1800rpm gen head from the engine and dont drop the engine revs just knock her out of gear.

              if you find the right ratio of pulleys you could use 2200 rpm on your main engine.

              if you dont have a guvenor fitted and it is an auto derived engine see if you can find a cruse control from the relevanvt vehicle and fit that to the boat( same thing)

              if your electrical equipment is not to senative to freqency or voltage just set the revs to the figure you want and use the box to drive the boat.

              thanks derek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "derek" <derekwmoss@...> wrote:

              > hi there
              >
              > a normal marine spec alternator with a biger pulley on the engine to get it running in the region of 8000 rpm with a special reg made will get you hf three phase ac 110v if you want or can use that.
              >
              > if the load is incadeacant lighting you will be ok but florescent lights and electronic equipment wont work unless the electronic equipment uses a switch mode powersupply and even then they may not like hf ac
              >
              > or fitt a bigger alternator to the main engine and use a invertor powered from the starter battery. make sure the alternator is at least 10% higer current rated than the input current to the invertor so that the battery will still charge.
              >
              > you may need multiple alternators if the starter batery is 12v because each kw is 80 amp at 12v
              >
              > also if you look for uk canal boat chandlers on the web there are nowa few poeple doing special varaible rev input alternators to supply mains out from any any engine revs some body will do a 110v version.
              >
              > there are three alternatives and i will bet there are at least
              > a few more to come.
              >
              > thanks derek!!!!!!!
              >
              > --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "JohnnyO" <paypal@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a unique to me application.
              > >
              > > I believe this is exactly what I am looking for.
              > >
              > > I've got a diesel engine that runs anywhere between 550rpms to 2400rpms. I would like some way to generate 2500watts to 4000watts of useable 110v power.
              > >
              > > While "working" I am typically in the 1800-2200rpm range for about an hour at a time and then I back down to 550-1000rpms for 10 mins or so then back up to 1800-2200rpms for another hour or so.
              > >
              > > The powersource is the main engine on my shrimp boat. With increasing fuel costs, i'd like to rob some of the power from my main engine while underway so I don't have to run an auxillary genset....
              > >
              > > Is this possible or am I pissing in the wind ? Are there any solutions out there that would work off of a variable input speed to get me what I want ?
              > >
              > > thanks in advance,
              > >
              > > JohnnyO

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 17 3:25 PM
                It would seem to me the appropriate generator for this would be a
                double fed induction generator(alternator). Very large windmills use them
                and they work well. The exciter winding is fed with low power variable
                frequency AC whose frequency varies inversely to the drive speed. The
                output is fixed frequency AC.

                Paul N