multiple strands wire or Single wire

  • N Patel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
      Hello
      I have a question about winding coil. What would be the best way to wind the coil, using multiple wires or the single wire?
      I have 15 gauge spool. I have made coils of 100 turns using single wire. What difference would it make to output if I had taken two or more 15 gauge wires to wind a coil?
      Thanks
    • Steve Spence
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
        multiple strands allow for heavier current output. Multiple smaller
        strands allow for same current output, but easier coil winding.

        --

        Steve Spence
        Renewable energy and self sufficiency
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
          Thanks for suggestion Steve.

          Since I have already made coils of 15 gauge, single strand and 100
          turns, I assume that it would give comparitivly higher voltage and
          lower current. There are total 12 coils for my stator.
          Would you suggest me to make coils with multiple strands for better
          perfomance?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
            multiple strands of the same gauge will provide more amps (if you have the
            wind to push it). Multiple strands of smaller gauge will make your coils
            easier to wind. I think I said this already, maybe I wasn't clear. number
            of winds (length of wire) affects voltage, not diameter of wire (unless
            it's overloaded and end up being a voltage drop - heat).

            On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 18:53:22 -0500, N Patel <bluepearl_0104@...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks for suggestion Steve.
            >
            > Since I have already made coils of 15 gauge, single strand and 100
            > turns, I assume that it would give comparitivly higher voltage and
            > lower current. There are total 12 coils for my stator.
            > Would you suggest me to make coils with multiple strands for better
            > perfomance?
            >
            > --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Spence" <sspence@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> multiple strands allow for heavier current output. Multiple smaller
            >> strands allow for same current output, but easier coil winding.
            >>
            >> On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 17:10:47 -0500, N Patel bluepearl_0104@...
            >> wrote:
            >>
            >> > Hello
            >> > I have a question about winding coil. What would be the best way to
            > wind
            >> > the coil, using multiple wires or the single wire?
            >> > I have 15 gauge spool. I have made coils of 100 turns using single
            > wire.
            >> > What difference would it make to output if I had taken two or more
            > 15
            >> > gauge wires to wind a coil?
            >> > Thanks
            >> >

            >> --
            >>
            >> Steve Spence
            >> Renewable energy and self sufficiency
            >> http://www.green-trust.org
            >> http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com

            --

            Steve Spence
            Renewable energy and self sufficiency
            http://www.green-trust.org
            http://arduinotronics.blogspot.com
          • Dan Fink
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2011
              Hello;

              Perhaps I can help clarify Steve's comments for you.

              It's always better to use a single strand of wire, as multiple strands
              will always be slightly different lengths and there will be parasitic
              currents between them.

              However, with lower voltage or higher output alternators, the thick
              wire required is extremely difficult to wind into tight, symmetrical
              coils, so we use multiple strands instead. We have also done this on
              occasion when the correct wire size is not available.

              The amount of copper remains the same.

              DAN FINK
              Co-author, Homebrew Wind Power
              IREC / ISPQ accredited Continuing Education Provider

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2011
                Thank you, Dan. The only time I use two in hand is when I'm doing a 12v
                machine.

                I've found some motors wound that way when rebuilding them.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 12, 2011
                  Thanks Dan for your suggestions. It helped me a lot taking decision.

                  Nirav