Re: Multiple stator design

  • Joe mijdtr
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 11, 2010
      so DF says
      > If you instead used those same extra magnets and copper to build a
      > larger diameter alternator,,,,,,

      are we talking about coils and magnets a further distance from the shaft, thus perhaps needing more power or strength to fight lenz because of leverage is extended?

      if so, will it require thicker steel disks for less flex (wobble)/ truer tracking of the rotor disks?

      i have thought of this only to have space for more windings, bigger coils, for 110v or more,

      my planned application of these generators: powered via hydro (water "fall" ect.) or powered via steam boiler to steam turbine or engine, fueled by hydrogen ( from alum/lye combination). then connect to the grid, thus eliminating the need for batteries. then receiving money from extra electricity produced.,

      hi,
      joe here, a new member of the group. good job steve,and the rest, on keeping the group going, and keeping your head while doing so. i have been reading the messages from the beginning and got to about message 100 or so to avoid asking any questions that have already been asked and answered.

      well i can see it will take a long time to catch up with 3000 posts.

      thinking perhaps any delay in getting my thoughts in on the forum might delay others from the benefit of another point of view, along with the possibility that i just cant keep my mouth shut i decided to post.

      so now doing some backtracking from newest mesgs, to oldest i hadda put some 2 pennys worth of jomama in to see ifn i get slapped. lol

      --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, John Roberson <jgroberson56@...> wrote:

      > Well I cant' stand it any longer
      >
      > Are you related to Christ Fink that worked for Honeywell?
      >
      > John Roberson

    • Dan Fink
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
        Hi Joe;

        More info pasted in below...DAN FINK

        so DF says
        > If you instead used those same extra magnets and copper to build a
        > larger diameter alternator,,,,,,

        are we talking about coils and magnets a further distance from the
        shaft, thus perhaps needing more power or strength to fight lenz
        because of leverage is extended?

        ------The larger diameter lets you use both more and larger magnets
        and coils. Leverage is not an issue, you simply need more power at the
        shaft to make more electrical output.

        if so, will it require thicker steel disks for less flex (wobble)/
        truer tracking of the rotor disks?

        -------Yes, though not so much because of wobble, just because more
        power input and output is involved.

        i have thought of this only to have space for more windings, bigger
        coils, for 110v or more,
        my planned application of these generators: powered via hydro (water
        "fall" ect.) or powered via steam boiler to steam turbine or engine,
        fueled by hydrogen ( from alum/lye combination). then connect to the
        grid, thus eliminating the need for batteries. then receiving money
        from extra electricity produced.,

        ------If you want to wind for a higher voltage (to use a direct
        grid-tie inverter and no battery bank, for example), the size of
        everything stays the same. You just wind each coil with more turns of
        smaller diameter wire, keeping the coil exactly the same size. Adding
        more magnets and more copper gives you more power output (assuming you
        have the extra power at the shaft to drive it), and also lets you get
        a lower cut-in RPM for whatever voltage you wind for.

        ---Have fun!
      • Joe mijdtr
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 13, 2010
          thank you, dan. you saved me from alot of self induced confusion.

          peace out,
          joe