4+ phases

  • Andrii Zvorygin
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
      I'm wondering if there's any data on the efficiencies of having more phases.

      To my mind it seems like there may be some potential benefits,
      such as perhaps being more sensitive to smaller movements.

      Is there a formula for finding the coil to magnet ratio with variable phases?

      Wondering Elspru
    • derekwmoss@uk2.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
        hi there

        there is only one reason there are three phases only and that is

        three phases are the minimum require to get a self starting motor and the min was set by cost of system instalations only.

        more phases would provide smother dc to your batteries and a much lower starting torgue for the same output power of alternator.

        it is up to you to balance the cost of the wiring against the gains of reducing the current per phase for the same over all power.

        if you dont transmit the power as ac but use it on sight as dc more phases the beter because of the lower starting torque thus your alternator/ mill would start charging at much lower wind speeds.

        from memory when they where experimenting with power generation early on they tried 3 4 5 6 and 7 phases but they found no advantage but they where using quite gros prime movers.

        thanks derek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

        On Mar 1, 2010, Andrii Zvorygin <andrii.z@...> wrote:

        I'm wondering if there's any data on the efficiencies of having more phases.

        To my mind it seems like there may be some potential benefits,
        such as perhaps being more sensitive to smaller movements.

        Is there a formula for finding the coil to magnet ratio with variable phases?

        Wondering Elspru

      • Steve Spence
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
          That has nothing to do with why we use 3 phases in our alternators. It's
          convenient. You don't need "smoother dc" to your batteries.

          Steve Spence
          Renewable energy and self sufficiency
          http://www.green-trust.org
          http://makingthewebwork.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
            hi there

            why the pop at me steve i was only trying to help.

            every body is entiteled to there oppinions steve.

            i said three phase was convenient and cheap and that is why it is used to day but that does not mean it is the best for all purposes.

            but i will ask you to back up your last sentance with sientific fact steve as i think you may find it a touch dificult.??????

            thanks derek!!!!!!!!!!!

          • Steve Spence
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2010
              I correct misinformation, or delete it. I allowed yours to pass, and
              corrected it. I don't post opinion.