Re: [axialflux] Re: Low wind speeds

  • Bill Williams
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
      Steve
      I know how to calculate TSR, I referencing the example you gave !
      "at 5 mph, 9' blades might put out 35 watts."
      What was the TSR for that setup and also what was the machines voltage i.e. 12, 24, 48 ???
      All My Best
      Bill

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
        Steve, ever wanted to do something so badly you end up
        Frustrated b/c the #s never work out ? LOL

        It's not looking good for the hometeam unless I were to go with
        16ft blades that were manufactured.

        If I were only 10 miles closer to the coast or 175ft of a tower.....

        Costs just don't justify results at this point in time. But who knows
        What tommorrow will bring.

        Will just focus on increasing methane production and slowly
        Adding solar panels for now.

        JohnnyO
        Wireless & Remote Power Systems Consulting
        (337)368-7188

         sent from my iPhone

        JohnnyO wrote:

        > Steve, what would 5mph start up do for
        > The design ????
        >
        > We've got quite a bit of 5-10mph winds
        > Above 30meters here.
        >
        > If I could design for 5mph startup then
        > We could enjoy almost 190days of pulling
        > Power from wind.
        >
        > I know this from using a anomometer logger
        > So these aren't # s I'm pulling out of my butt.
        >
        > JohnnyO
        > Wireless & Remote Power Systems Consulting
        > JohnnyO@apgwireless .com <mailto:JohnnyO@apgwireless .com>
        > (337)368-7188
        >
        > sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Oct 31, 2009, at 8:50 AM, Steve Spence <sspence@green-trust.org
        > <mailto:sspence@green-trust.org>> wrote:
        >

        >> 3-5 mph winds are very expensive to design for, as there's little to no
        >> power at that speed.
        >>
        >> Steve Spence
        >> Renewable energy and self sufficiency
        >> <http://www.green- trust.org>http://www.green- trust.org
        >> <http://makingtheweb work.blogspot. com/>http://makingtheweb work.blogspot. com/
        >>
        >> JohnnyO wrote:
        >> >

        >> > I am in southwest Louisiana. I am interested
        >> > In building an axialflux wg but have a few questions.
        >> >
        >> > 1st let me say I run a small rural wisp and have a very beefy tower
        >> > In my backyard. Mounting at 100ft is no problem.
        >> >
        >> > We only have 90-120 days of decent wind here.
        >> >
        >> > I would like to know what would be involved in the building
        >> > Of an axialflux designed to produce 300watts at 24volts in winds
        >> > Of 3-5 mph ??? 12volts or 48volts could work also.
        >> >
        >> > Our primary source of power will be coming from solar but I would
        >> > Like to be able to capture some from the free winds we
        >> > Do have also.
        >> >
        >> > My current battery bank is setup as 24volt. I went with 24volt
        >> > To reduce wire size needed.
        >> >
        >> > JohnnyO
        >> > Wireless & Remote Power Systems Consulting
        >> > JohnnyO@apgwireless .com <mailto:JohnnyO% 40apgwireless. com>
        >> <mailto:JohnnyO% 40apgwireless. com>
        >> > (337)368-7188
        >> >
        >> > sent from my iPhone

      • Steve Spence
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
          It's a theoretical machine. He hasn't built one yet. I don't know the
          rpm, blade length, or voltage of a machine that has not yet been built.

          Bill Williams wrote:

          > Steve
          > I know how to calculate TSR, I referencing the example you gave !
          > "at 5 mph, 9' blades might put out 35 watts."
          > What was the TSR for that setup and also what was the machines voltage
          > i.e. 12, 24, 48 ???
          > All My Best
          > Bill

        • Bill Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
            Thanks Steve for the reply
            All My Best
            Bill

            Bill Williams wrote:

            > Steve
            > I know how to calculate TSR, I referencing the example you gave !
            > "at 5 mph, 9' blades might put out 35 watts."
            > What was the TSR for that setup and also what was the machines voltage
            > i.e. 12, 24, 48 ???
            > All My Best
            > Bill

          • Tharks V
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2009

              tharks.blogspot.com

            • Steve Spence
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2009
                How would this work with an axial flux alternator?