Re: casting resin alternative to secure coils/magnets ?

  • kuhnbutch
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2009
      --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, "roundtheglobe" <gb2910@...> wrote:

      > Hello from a new member and thanks for the great resource .
      > I would like to know if anyone investigated into alternative measures to casting resin pooring to secure magnets and coils .
      > I guess it could be helpfull to be able to act on the pgm single components.
      > For example would it be possible to cast containers for single magnet/coil in resin and screw them to the base ?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Gabriele
      > Italy
      >
      > P.S: I hope my post is comprehensible.

      Gabriele,
      If you are able to drill precision holes in accurate locations, it is possible to mount and hold magnets with bronze flat head nails such as nails used in old-fashioned wood boat construction. This could be done without machine shop equipment with difficulty and care using a hand punch and hand drill. The method:
      1. experiment drilling the proper hole in steel for a tight press fit of a #10 bronze ring-shanked boat nail. The nail should be cut to length so that if the head is overlapping the top edge of the magnet, there is about 1/4" of shank pressed into the steel.
      2. Ouline each magnet carefully in proper place on the steel or iron back-plate of axial motor.
      3. Hand-punch a dimple for nail location snugly along the edge at about every inch of magnet length and for each end of magnet; maybe two nails at outside end. The idea is that the head of the nail holds the top edge of the magnet, and the shank hold the sides in position.
      4. Carefully drill accurate size and location holes. A drill press sure would be handy here.
      5. Mount magnet and carefully press nails into place using 8 oz. hammer and using a steel rod as a nail set; tappity-tap not banggity-bang. Do not over set. If you establish the correct heavy-drive fit (just short of bending the nails during insertion), they will hold until the magnets themselves break or corrode. If not encapsulating with resin, I would be sure to give the final arrangement a very good paint job. But why not encapsulate? You folks encapsulating do the same - sunlight destroys resin; paint's a good protector.
      Kind Regards,
      Butch Kuhn
    • roundtheglobe
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2009
        Hi Butch,
        while I take my time translating some terms from your post( not english native tongue) I tell you why I was looking for a no-resin system.
        My idea was to organize wind turbine super-cheap one-day courses avoiding the cost of new materials for each new course.
        I guess casting resin on magnets would be the main thing to avoid in order to recycle turbine parts for assembling lessons..
        So ,thanks for the how to ..